FALMOUTH Town manager Andrew Westgarth was delighted with the performance of his side in their 3-1 victory at home to Oxfordshire side Abingdon United in their FA Vase first round proper tie.

Town led early on through a calamitous own goal from Cameron Hawtin but suffered a setback midway through the half when defender Kirk Davies received a straight red card.

But the Hellenic League Division 1 East side could not take advantage of their extra man and paid the price as Luke Barner and Luke Brabyn scored in quick succession to all but seal their place in the next round.

Abingdon’s misery was complete when Luke McCormack was shown a red card late on, although they did manage a consolation through Tom Griffiths in the final few minutes.

REPORT: Ten-man Town show their class to ease into second round of FA Vase

Westgarth was pleased to not only see his side reach the second round proper for the third successive season but also the manner of his team’s victory, which was achieved despite being a man down for the majority of the game.

Westgarth said: “In cup competitions sometimes it’s not how you play or being the better side, it’s about winning, but today I thought we were the better side, played some lovely football and even when we went down to ten men I still thought we were the side in control.

“I went up and watched them on Tuesday, and no disrespect to them but it was like watching two different teams. The way they played on Tuesday was a complete contrast of how they played today, but then I would say I’d back that up with our tactics of how we pressed them high, didn’t allow their wing-backs to get into the game at all and I thought we looked a threat with willing runners in behind.

“The only disappointment today was I felt sorry for Martty [Ryan Martt]. Obviously with Kirk [Davies] getting sent off and having to bring him off, but he’s a great guy and he took it well, and obviously we went on to win the game which is the main thing.”

IN PICTURES: 50 photos from Falmouth Town's FA Vase win over Abingdon United

Town took the lead in fortuitous fashion following a nightmare own goal from Hawtin, but their afternoon took a turn for the worse when right-back Davies was given his marching orders in the 26th minute after a heavy challenge on Hawtin.

“Hard to tell but I think with those sorts of tackles the game’s gone,” Westgarth said. “I spoke to a few people who were watching it on the riverside [near where the incident took place] and they said he took the ball, but I suppose if you go in like that you always run the risk of the referee doing that.”

Luke Barner became Town’s outright top scorer once again when he notched his 11th goal of the season in the 64th minute to give his side breathing space at 2-0 up.

The goal would have been a huge relief for almost everyone in the ground, but it would have been an extra relief for the forward after he blazed a penalty over the crossbar only minutes earlier.

This is The West Country:

Town captain James Ward celebrates at full-time. Pic: Cameron Weldon

“The turning point could have been Barner’s penalty that he missed,” Westgarth said. “At 1-0, we were down to ten men and they’ve got 11 on the park.

“With that penalty you’d like to think at 2-0 you’re comfortable there but he missed it, but I thought he showed unbelievable character to score five minutes later with an unbelievable finish.”

Westgarth heaped praise on the team’s F-Troop, whose fervent support throughout the 90 minutes as they cheered their side to victory earned them the accolade of being dubbed the “ultimate 12th man” by the Town boss.

“It gets written about people saying we’ve got unbelievable support, but I don’t think you really appreciate it until you’re here,” he said.

“Photos look amazing but they don’t do it any justice and I think once you’re here and you hear that noise, that is your ultimate 12th man, and especially at this level.”