MULLION’s perfect start to the St Piran League West season came to an end in spectacular style as Helston Athletic reserves enjoyed a comfortable 5-0 win at Kellaway Park.

Liam Eddy and Alex Wharton made appearances for the second string after the first team’s game was called off due to a positive Covid test, and the pair were both on the scoresheet, with Eddy scoring one and Wharton bagging a brace.

Dan Jenkin had opened the scoring early on and substitute Fred Williams’ late strike completed the rout, which could have been even heavier had Seagulls ‘keeper Neil Rollinson not saved Jordan Adlard’s second-half penalty.

The defeat ends Mullion’s 100 per cent record so far this campaign, with the Blues adding insult to injury by overtaking their local rivals into third place by virtue of their now superior goal difference.

The Seagulls are now three points off leaders Illogan RBL after they extended their own perfect start to seven games with a 6-0 victory at home to Porthleven reserves.

Aside from their first-team loanees the Blues gave starts to debutants Harry Dark and Kyle Winnan, and it was the latter who had to be alert early on to tip Rob Carey’s powerful strike to safety.

But it was the home side who soon took control with Jenkin having a shot saved by Rollinson before the same man opened the scoring on ten minutes. It came from good work on the right by Eddy, whose low cross just missed Wharton but was driven into the net by Jenkin from 12 yards.

Mullion almost responded in style when Jack Sherlock struck the underside of Winnan’s bar from a free-kick before Jenkin came close to adding a second, but saw his effort saved by Rollinson.

But the hosts’ second soon arrived in devastating style from the visitors’ perspective. After seeing a golden chance go begging, the Blues’ quick counter ended in delight as Wharton turned the last man inside the box and emphatically swept the ball home.

Wharton and Eddy came close shortly after as the rain began to pelt down, but the latter got his name on the scoresheet moments before the half-time whistle. Wharton did well to keep a sustained attack alive and sent a low cross through the box, which was promptly crossed back in by Kyle Woodhouse for Eddy to head home.

The Seagulls started the second half brightly and they nearly pulled one back when Chris Wormington nodded a corner delivery into the path of Carey, who flashed a shot narrowly wide on the turn from the angle of the six-yard box.

But it looked like game, set and match for the hosts only six minutes into the half when a Seagulls hand was adjudged to have blocked Dan Stidwell’s cross. Adlard stepped up to make sure of the three points but Rollinson dived to his left and palmed the shot to safety.

Sensing a glimmer of hope, Mullion got on the front foot and came close when Jack Casley controlled Carey’s cross with a fine first touch, only for Winnan to scoop the ball up before he could poke it past him with his second.

But the contest – and Mullion’s perfect record – was finally over with 20 minutes to go as Helston notched their fourth, with a fine move involving Jenkin and Eddy teeing up Wharton to fire into the far corner from the right side of the box.

Matt Fox came off the bench and came close grabbing a consolation for the Seagulls, as did Jacob Lugg who had a shot well saved by Winnan.

But it was Helston who were celebrating again in the final minutes as Williams completed the hosts’ emphatic win. A lofted pass set Stidwell free, with the winger drawing Rollinson and unselfishly squaring for Williams at the far post, who could hardly miss from a few yards out.

Helston: K Winnan, K Woodhouse, L Tripconey, H Dark, C Conway, J Adlard, D Jenkin, T Russell, L Eddy, A Wharton, D Stidwell. Subs: J Hannaford, F Williams, M Everall, K Leathley.

Mullion: N Rollinson, C Wormington, J Sherlock, L Hunter, J Lugg, C Blee, M Liall, H Dark, R Carey, A Thomas, J Casley. Subs: R Tonkin, M Fox, J Lawrence, A Carey, I Head.