ALEX Cole's late strike for Newquay ensured Helston Athletic failed to record victory in a league game for the first time in 13 months.

Not since a 2-1 defeat at home to Liskeard Athletic on August 17, 2019 had the Blues failed to win a game in the South West Peninsula League, but Cole's close-range finish in the 86th minute rescued a point for the Peppermints in a 3-3 draw at Kellaway Park on Wednesday night.

Ollie Dart had given the visitors a half-time lead, and while Matt Buchan levelled on 58 minutes for the hosts, Callum Mconie was on hand to restore the Peppermints' lead less than 60 seconds later.

Neil Slateford restored parity for the home side with a stunning strike before Kai Cornish appeared to win it for the Blues, but Cole popped up in the 86th minute to deny Helston a 27th consecutive league win.

This is The West Country:

Newquay were first to threaten when one of their forwards struck the outside of the post with a fierce effort, before Ross Fallons missed a golden chance to open the scoring on 18 minutes, meeting the impressive Mconie's superb cross at the back post but failing to divert it into Jason Robertson's goal.

Robertson was then on hand to claim Thomas Shepherd's free-kick on 24 minutes, but his failure to do the same three minutes later resulted in the opening goal. Mconie's right-wing free-kick appeared to be heading safely into the 'keeper's hands, only for the number one to fumble it at the feet of Dart, who prodded the ball home from close range.

The goal woke Helston up from their slumber somewhat and the hosts started to build a head of steam as Tucker curled over from the edge of the box before Olly Brokenshire drilled a shot over the bar from a tight angle.

This is The West Country:

The Blues threatened to nick an equaliser twice in first-half stoppage time, with Buchan heading wide from Tucker's cross before Brokenshire's goalbound effort was denied by a vital block from Harry Downing.

Early pressure at the start of the second half paid dividends for the Blues, who got themselves back into the game on 58 minutes when Tucker raced into the box and provided a low cross for Buchan to flick past Nathan Prentice.

Their celebrations were short-lived as Newquay restored their lead almost instantly, with Mconie drilling a fine shot in at the near post roughly 60 seconds after Buchan had done so at the other end.

This is The West Country:

Helston went back in search of another equaliser and they got it in sensational style 12 minutes later. With the Blues unable to break down the Peppermints defence during a spell of possession on the edge of the box, Slateford took it upon himself to unleash a fierce strike past Prentice and inside the near post from 25 yards.

Goldsworthy almost put the Blues in front a minute later, instead firing into the side netting, but Steve Massey's side finally got their noses in front with 13 minutes left to play when Goldsworthy's deflected cross found its way to substitute Cornish, who was lurking at the near post to provide the simplest of finishes.

This is The West Country:

Newquay pressed forward in search of a late leveller and it appeared like their chance had gone when Cole blazed a shot over from 12 yards in the 85th minute. But the same man redeemed himself in the next attack with a goal made by Phil Lowry, with the substitute superbly controlling a cross on the left of the box before volleying it back into the mixer for Cole to sweep home and break Helston hearts.

Helston: J Robertson, W Tinsley, L Short, D Mulready, D Harrison, O Brokenshire, N Slateford, M Bye, B Tucker (K Cornish 69), M Goldsworthy, M Buchan (P Cattran 69). Subs (unused): L Tonkin, E Timmons, L Eddy.