FALMOUTH Town manager Andrew Westgarth was pleased with his side's showing in their first pre-season game of the summer on Friday night.

Town ran out 4-1 winners over Mawnan at Bickland Park in what was their first game since their 3-2 League Cup win over St Blazey on March 11 – some 149 days earlier.

David Broglino opened the scoring from the penalty spot before Peter Maclean levelled shortly before the break, only for Town captain Joe Cooper to restore the lead almost instantly with a header.

Returning striker Jack Bowyer came on at the start of the second half and made it 3-1 minutes later, before the same man completed the scoring just after the hour.

READ MORE: Bowyer scores twice as Town enjoy four-goal win on long-awaited return

“I think everyone had a good chunk of minutes," Westgarth said. "It’s great to have Toby [Clark] back full-time and it’s really good to see Bows [Bowyer] back and within a minute he scores a goal, that’s what he’s about. Brabyn, again I thought when he came on he looked sharp.

“There’s lots of positives but we have to be realistic, where we’re at, who we’re playing against, and this is the first game of pre-season.”

Westgarth heaped praise on the opposition, who, despite being three divisions below Town, acquitted themselves well and offered a good opening test for the South West Peninsula League outfit.

“Fair credit to Mawnan, they applied themselves excellently in the first half, and at times you probably wondered who was the Peninsula side and who was the junior side," Westgarth said.

"I thought they kept the ball well and I think their recruitment has been really good at the expense of us and our second team, but I thought they looked really good.

“Obviously [in the] second half both teams have got to make changes and we were obviously able to strengthen.”

IN PICTURES: Falmouth Town defeat Mawnan in first pre-season game

The game took place behind closed doors as the Government is yet to approve an FA proposal for the return of spectators to non-league football grounds.

But Town's supporters, keen to see their side in action for the first time in months, cheered on the team from the clubhouse for the duration of the match instead, and Westgarth paid tribute to the support of the F-Troop after the game.

“I think it just goes to show how magical our club is," he said. "The support that we’ve got outside of the ground is brilliant.

"I feel sorry for them. The rules are the rules but I’m baffled by the rules. How you can allow people to be in a clubhouse but you can’t allow people to be in the fresh air, it’s very bizarre.”

The match was arranged in memory of former Mawnan goalkeeper Jamie Gray, who died earlier this year, with a minute's silence being held prior to kick-off.

“A special mention for Jamie Gray, obviously we’re doing this on behalf of him and his family. Terrible circumstances for him and his family but great that we’re able to do this for him and his family and great that Wayne [Hughes, Mawnan manager] wanted to bring his boys here.”