JACK Bowyer came off the bench to score twice as Falmouth Town defeated Mawnan 4-1 in their first match for 149 days.

Playing for the first time since March 11 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Town sealed victory in the pre-season friendly thanks to goals from David Broglino, Joe Cooper and two from Bowyer. Peter Maclean replied for Mawnan.

The match was held in memory of former Mawnan player Jamie Gray, who died earlier this year. A minute’s silence took place shortly before kick-off.

This is The West Country:

The game took place behind closed doors as the Government are yet to approve an FA proposal for the return of spectators to non-league football grounds.

AS IT HAPPENED: Falmouth Town 4-1 Mawnan

Town shaded the first quarter of the game with Rob Wearne firing over from a good position before Broglino headed narrowly wide, while former Town man Harry McMellon drove a shot over the bar for the Trelawny League Premier side.

TJ Walter came close with a couple of efforts, including one volley attempt that flew inches wide of the far post.

He was involved in the opener on 24 minutes as he was sent tumbling on the left-hand side of the box, with referee Kevin Knowles left with no option but to award the penalty, which Broglino coolly dispatched.

Wearne came close to making it two when his fierce strike smashed the outside of the post before James Pollard missed a golden chance to level, heading over at the back post.

Just as it looked like being just the one goal at the break, two came along inside one minute. First it was Maclean to fire the visitors back on level terms, only for Cooper to rise to a free kick and send a looping header into the far corner at the other end barely 60 seconds later.

This is The West Country:

The interval allowed Town to make their first substitutions, with returning signings Toby Clark and Jack Bowyer entering the fray.

It did not take long for Bowyer, who left Town for St Austell during last season before returning in June, to reacquaint himself with the goal at Bickland Park, firing Town further ahead within two minutes of the restart thanks to a handy deflection off a Mawnan man.

Broglino was denied a fourth thanks to a fine point-blank save, but Bowyer was on hand to provide it just after the hour. No assistance was needed this time as he fired a fine first-time effort past the 'keeper from Martyn Duff’s pass.

A fine bit of last-ditch defensive work stopped Walter from sliding in Bowyer’s pass before both Town players came close with mid-range shots.

Luke Brabyn also had an effort saved late on when cutting in from the left flank, before Bowyer’s hopes of bagging a hat-trick almost came to fruition when he cutely flicked Brabyn’s low pass behind him and towards the far corner, only to see it drift agonisingly wide.

Town: R Barnes, S Kellow, O Moody, K Davies, J Cooper, M Duff, S Pickup, D Broglino, T Nixon, T Walter, R Wearne. Subs: T Clark, W Harding, L Brabyn, J Bowyer.