FALMOUTH Town secured their place in the first round proper of the FA Vase with a 3-1 victory at St Blazey on Saturday.

Town opened the scoring at Blaise Park inside ten minutes when Jack Bowyer got on the end of Joe Cooper's header and putt Luke Brabyn through, who raced in on goal, drew the 'keeper and slotted home from 12 yards.

Ryan Barnes was called into action soon after to make a couple of saves, before Callum McGhee's shot took a crucial deflection off a Falmouth shirt.

Bowyer was sent to the sin bin on 24 minutes, but Town soon doubled their lead after they were back to full strength, with Olly Walker cutting inside and shooting across the goalkeeper and into the corner from corner of the box six minutes before the break.

The tie was all but over two minutes into the second half when Tim Nixon made it three, with the midfielder firing in from eight yards after good work from Brabyn down the flank.

But Levi Landricombe, introduced from the St Blazey bench at half-time, gave the Green and Blacks hope three minutes later when he caught the Town defence cold and burst through the middle to smash a shot in first time, although it proved to be a mere consolation.

An under-strength Porthleven came within five minutes of pulling off the result of the round before ultimately going down 2-1 at Saltash United.

The Fishermen were missing several first-team players but were able to hold their high-flying hosts at the break, only for Sam Hughes to open the scoring ten minutes into the second half when he profited from a mix-up in the Porthleven box and tucked it home from close range.

Needing an equaliser, Porthleven got on the front foot in the next 20 minutes and they grabbed their leveller with 17 minutes to play, with Charlie Young nodding home Dan Stidwell's left-wing cross from six yards.

But just when extra-time was looking likely, Ryan Richards popped up with a tap-in with four minutes to go to break Porthleven's hearts.

Mark Goldsworthy's late penalty finally secured victory for Helston Athletic in their second qualifying round tie at home to South West Peninsula League Premier East club Axminster Town.

The hosts were able to get their noses in front before the break, with Beattie turning Matt Bye's corner in at the front of the six-yard box with seven minutes of the half to play.

But victory was finally secured in the final minute when Goldsworthy was felled in the box, with the same man getting up to beat Hutchings from the spot.

READ MORE: Late penalty secures Blues' spot in next round of FA Vase

Elsewhere, Adam Sleep and Bobby Hopkinson scored as Camelford won 2-1 at home to Western League Division One side Ashton & Backwell.

Torpoint Athletic reached the next round with a 4-1 extra-time win at home to Ashton & Backwell's divisional rivals Portishead Town, but Bodmin Town's run is over after losing 4-0 at home to Buckland Athletic of the Western League Premier.

The draw for the first round proper will take place tomorrow (Monday, September 16).