Saltash United denied Falmouth Town a cup double as they lifted the Walter C Parson League Cup at St Blazey on Saturday.

Dave Barker's header in the 90th minute settled the tie as the Ashes exacted revenge on Falmouth for their 2-1 defeat in the Cornwall Senior Cup Final on Easter Monday.

Town can take solace from that Senior Cup victory but will feel that they could, and maybe should, have won another after having the upper hand for long spells of the game.

The teams enjoyed a lightning start to that Senior Cup clash with both sides scoring inside the first six minutes.

There was none of that on this occasion as the teams played out a quiet opening quarter. Town edged it on possession but did nothing to trouble Saltash 'keeper Ryan Rickard.

This is The West Country:

Ollie Moody and Saltash's Lewis Edwards exchanged half-chances before the first big moment arrived on 34 minutes. A challenge on Martyn Duff resulted in the ball ricocheting out to Luke Brabyn on the right. The pacy winger cut in and drew Rickard but drove the shot inches wide of the bottom corner.

Jordan Annear and James Ward put shots high and wide respectively as Town began to get on the front foot, but missed a big opportunity by failing to test Rickard with any of a succession of corners shortly before half-time.

Falmouth resumed control of possession after the break but were still lacking in the final third. Broglino fired wide after good work from Brabyn before failing to get a shot away following a spell of head tennis in the Ashes box.

Then the big, big chance came. No-one had spotted the run of right-back David Blizzard who enjoyed the freedom of the Saltash area. His cross found Broglino whose shot was blocked, with Annear firing the rebound over from eight yards with the goal at his mercy.

This is The West Country:

Saltash began to reassert themselves in the game with Sam Hughes firing over before Callum Martindale tested Ryan Barnes, while Henry Wilson sent a shot well over the crossbar.

Town then had Barnes to thank when he did brilliantly to deny Hughes who had crept through the defence, before Blizzard got a vital block in on the same man's close-range strike shortly after.

Despite their earlier dominance, Town were now hoping for extra-time with Saltash looking like the ones who could steal the late goal.

And then they did.

A couple of corners had been dealt with by the Falmouth defence, but Sam Farrant's latest kick in the final minute of the 90 was a step too far for Town, with his delivery being met by the head of Barker who powered the ball home before being mobbed by his team-mates.

Town had precious little time to respond but they struggled to even get out of their half as Saltash attempted to run the ball into the corner.

Those attempts were successful with the referee's full-time whistle confirming the inevitable: Saltash are champions.

This is The West Country: