Uhlsport Somerset County League
Premier Division
Watchet Town 0, Chard Town 0

CHARD Town felt aggrieved despite collecting their first point of the season away to high-flying Watchet Town on Saturday, as Sam Spurway’s header was dubiously ruled out for offside in a hard-fought goalless draw.

Playing against a significant gust, Chard were quickly out the blocks, forcing a couple of early corners with debutant Jack Male - signed from Combe St Nicholas - impressing on the ball in midfield.

The other debutant, Alex Manley, looked comfortable at right-back and got forward into some good crossing positions.

The home side grew into the half but Alex Cunnold’s goal was untroubled until the half-hour mark, when Owen Dodd cleared off the line following a corner and Cunnold tipped a long-range effort over.

Chard’s Luke Finn also fired over from range and miscued a half-chance from closer in, in a half of few chances.

If the first half was even, Chard definitely had the better of the second.

James Boyland found some joy on the left hand side, winning a succession of corners and free-kicks.

Past the hour, one of these free-kicks sparked the games biggest talking point, as Ryan Mason’s delivery hung up at the far post and Spurway made up the yards to rise above the Watchet backline and plant his header into the roof of the net - only to be adjudged offside.

Even so, Boyland almost won it after being sent clear on the counter; his strike, which initially squirmed under the keeper, was gathered at the second attempt on the line with the striker sliding in.

Watchet mounted some late pressure, but a good Shaun Wells-Burr block aside, nothing would come from it.

Chard Town: Cunnold, Manley, Sh. Wells-Burr, Sc. Wells-Burr (c), Mason, Board, Male, Dodd, Finn (Every 70), Spurway, Boyland. Subs not used: Mooney, Howlett.


Ilminster Town 1, Clutton 1

ILMINSTER Town put in a much improved display against sixth-placed Clutton, but after taking the lead through a fine Lee Sweet finish they were pegged back by a second-half goal from Ben Carfield, writes Andy Fish.

In truth, the hosts can count themselves unlucky not to have taken all three points.

The teams cancelled each other out in the opening 20 minutes and it was not until Sweet controlled a high ball before playing in a delightful pass into the path of Ben Evett that either side had threatened to score; Evett’s shot was straight at the keeper, though.

Taylor Jefferson made ground down the right before cutting back a cross into the path of debutant Lewis Leigh, who saw his shot turned behind for a corner.

Clutton slowly began to come back into the match, and it took a great save with his feet by Jack Rutter to keep the score at 0-0 .

The Blues counter-attacked with pace as Sweet found Evett out wide, Evett looked for Jefferson, who failed to make contact but as the cross was cleared Jefferson - with his back to goal - was inches wide with an overhead kick.

Clutton then really should have scored, when a free-kick drew a save from Rutter, the rebound fell at the feet of a Clutton striker only six yards out, but the shot went over the bar.

On the stroke of half-time Ilminster took the lead when Sweet beat the offside trap to race through on goal and find the bottom corner.

The second half began with the home side on the attack, and Jefferson did well to knock his far-post header right across the goalmouth, but his team-mates were all caught flat footed.

Evett then released Sweet who went through to score, but the linesman’s flag was raised to rule out the goal for offside.

Reprieved, Clutton broke on the counter to make it 1-1 through Carfield.

Ilminster rallied and Jefferson played in Sweet, but unlike the first half the keeper came out on top in a one-on-one.

Both sides sought a winner, as Clutton were denied by a great defensive header from Ben Pitman, then Louis Rutter headed the ball into the path of Evett, who hit a volley against the crossbar.

There was one more chance for the home side as Rich Crabb made a great run before cutting inside, but his shot was mishit and with it the chance to win the match was gone.

Ilminster Town: Jack Rutter, Mike Whitefield, Doug Whitfield, Sam Sheldrake, Rich Crabb, Brad Pitman, Will Spurway, Lewis Leigh, Ben Evett, Lee Sweet, Taylor Jefferson. Subs (used): Ben Pitman, Louis Rutter, Sam Roberts.