Buildbase FA Trophy
Third round qualifying
Taunton Town 2, Truro City 4

TAUNTON Town's final match before non-elite football's suspension during the national lockdown saw them knocked out of the FA Trophy, as visitors Truro City triumphed 4-2 at the Cygnet Health Care Stadium.

For Truro it provided a measure of revenge, after the Peacocks defeated them by the same scoreline in the FA Cup last month.

This fixture had originally been scheduled for last Saturday, but the weekend's heavy rain forced a postponement and the rescheduling for Tuesday night - just before the lockdown brings grassroots sport to a halt for the next month.

There were four ex-Taunton players in the visitors' line-up - Ryan Brett, Andrew Neal, Ed Palmer and Shane White - and one of them, Brett, assisted the opening goal after 11 minutes, as his corner was headed in by Jamie Richards.

The hosts were level just two minutes later, though, as Toby Holmes - who had scored a hat-trick in the last meeting between the sides - slotted in from Gethyn Hill's pass.

Both sides created half-chances throughout the rest of the opening 45 minutes, but it remained 1-1 at half-time.

Just two minutes into the second half, however, the Cornish visitors were ahead again as Tyler Harvey fired past home goalkeeper Lloyd Irish and into the corner of the net.

Richards scored his second just after the hour mark to make it 3-1, but the Peacocks pulled one back in the 68th minute, when Jay Foulston curled a fine free-kick in off the post.

Yet their hopes were all but snuffed out five minutes later, as Harvey headed in from a Connor Riley-Lowe cross for his second and Truro's fourth.

Taunton Town: Lloyd Irish, Jamie Short (Dan McBeam 66), Jay Foulston, Ben Adelsbury, Nick Grimes (c), Jack Goodall, Joe Guest (Owen Howe 75), Ollie Chamberlain, Dan Sullivan, Gethyn Hill (Ross Staley 85), Toby Holmes. Subs not used: Jordan Copp, Lee Lucas.

So it's Truro who will travel to Moneyfields in the first round proper of the competition, while Taunton have a month to reflect before their next fixture - lockdown permitting - in December.