Somerset Premier Cup
Wells City 3, Bridgwater Town 0

BRIDGWATER Town’s contingent - who made up half the crowd at the Athletic Ground on Tuesday night - can have no complaints following their comprehensive defeat in the last eight of the Premier Cup, writes Kerry Miller.

Three second-half strikes and red card for Dave Thorne proved too much for the Robins to cope, with as the club’s ambition of reaching three cup finals disappeared in the dank drizzly night.

The squad was shorn of Ollie Morris, Owen Irish and Noah Coppin, who were all cup-tied, plus Tom Ellis (away on a course) and Jake Horsey (not re-signed in time), but welcomed Jamie Laird back into their defence.

With several ex-Bridgy players in the Wells side there was always going to be some added spice, but the first 45 minutes was even with Jake Viney saving from point-blank range to deny Craig Herrod, and Jake Llewellyn somehow keeping out the rebound.

Luke Manley nodded a free-kick over the bar at the other end, then Herrod was again denied by the flying Viney in what was an entertaining half on a pitch which was slippery and heavy, but had coped remarkably well with the recent deluges.

Oscar Latas was introduced early in the second half but Wells’ Harry Foster and Charlie Crook both missed chances before Latas found space and his cross caused problems.

Wells were looking stronger and just past the hour a cross was not cleared and Herrod lobbed into an empty net from 18 yards to give his side the lead.

Mark Armstrong blazed over soon after, but on 75 minutes it was effectively all over as Alex Camm curled in a peach of a goal from 20 yards, leaving Viney with no chance.

It went from bad to worse minutes later, as Thorne went in for a challenge with Ben Robertson and was shown a straight red by referee Richard Hulme.

With the game gone Dave Pearse had a runout alongside Jack Taylor but when a corner was missed by all, Dale Hunt bundled it in on the far post and the 3-0 scoreline did not flatter Wells.

Bridgwater Town squad: Jake Viney, Dave Thorne, Finlay Wilkinson, Harry Horton, Mark Armstrong, Jamie Laird, Jake Brown, Sam Towler, Jack Taylor, Luke Manley, Jake Llewellyn. Subs: Oscar Latas, Nathan Byrne, Dave Pearse.

The Robins will hope to be back to full strength this Saturday (3pm), when they travel to face FA Vase semi-finalists Bitton before a home game with championship-chasing Bradford Town on Tuesday (7.45pm).