Western Counties West
Honiton 27, Wiveliscombe 26

WIVELISCOMBE let this game slip from their grasp after leading 19-17 with a quarter of the game to go, writes Roger Bellamy.

Honiton, playing down the slope in the first half, struggled to break down a resilient Wiveliscombe defence but the visitors were caught offside on several occasions, and one of those penalties was converted by home centre Oli Cave.

Wiveliscombe created opportunities themselves to win penalties in kickable positions but opted to kick for the corner hoping to score from the lineout - but they failed to score from these opportunities and this would prove vital at at the end of the game.

Honiton took their opportunities when they came and crossed for two tries before the break.

Prop Will Gourden scored from a forwards drive and back-rower Ben Small showed good pace to finish off a handling move from the home team's threes and forwards; Cave converted both.

Wiveliscombe would now have to play well to gain any sort of result after a first half in which they did have opportunities.

John Ker started the comeback, forcing his way over for an unconverted try after good forward pressure.

Second row Rory Stone then crossed for the visitors' second five-pointer, which was converted by Dan Quick to cut the deficit to five points.

At a vital period in the game Wiveliscombe had influential player Dan Smythe-Moore yellow carded, for playing the scrum-half in a offside position.

Wiveliscombe continued to press, though, and scored a third try through winger Richard Wike after a powerful run down the touchline.

Quick converted to give the visitors a two-point lead.

But then Cave kicked another penalty, after Wivey failed to support a burst from one of their forwards, who was penalised for not releasing.

Going into the last quarter, Wiveliscombe lost second row Ros Pearson to a yellow card and Honiton raised their game, moving the ball at every opportunity.

They scored their third try of the game through hooker Ben Logan, which was converted by Cave.

Playing 20 minutes of the game with 14 players were probably the deciding periods in this game, emphasised yet further when the visitors scored a fourth bonus-point try late in the game through scrum-half Hugh Kelly.

Quick converted, giving Wivey a second bonus point for finishing within seven points of the home team.

This Saturday is derby day, as Wiveliscombe host current league leaders Wellington (ko 2.30pm).

Somerset 2 South
Wiveliscombe II 38, Wells II 3

WIVELISCOMBE 2nd XV continued their promising form to gain a convincing victory over their opponents from east Somerset.

The home team had good numbers to choose from, with both forwards and threes contributing to their success.

Wiveliscombe played up the slope in the first half, scoring three tries.

James Adams found a gap in the Wells defence running half the length of the pitch to score.

Fellow three-quarter Jake Woodward and forward Joe Price added the other two tries.

Playing down the slope in the second half, Wivey's forwards took control, keeping the visitors on the back foot.

James Adams crossed for his second try of the match.

Joe Price and Josh Fyffe scored Wivey's other two second-half tries.

Hugh Harris and Ryan Overthrow shared the four conversions.

Wivey 2nds host their Burnham-on-Sea counterparts this Saturday (2.30pm)