Western Counties (W)

Saltash 19, Wellington 29

THE R&Bs made the trip over the Tamar bridge to take on Saltash last Saturday in what always had the potential to be a tricky fixture, writes Allyn Chetland.

Will Hodgson came into the starting XV for the unavailable Danny Lee in the only change to the squad from the previous weekend.

Playing up the slope in the first half, the R&Bs started brightly and were soon on the attack with second row Regan Walker to the fore with barnstorming runs.

Following some outstanding passages of play, Wellington deservedly opened the scoring when centre Vinny Gordon crossed for an unconverted try.

Unfortunately this was the only real bright point for the R&Bs in what become a stop/start half of frustration and mistakes.

Take nothing away from Saltash, who competed tenaciously throughout the half, taking the lead with a converted try and then extending it with an unconverted try just before the break after the R&Bs had been reduced to 14 players when Cam Venn was given a yellow card.

Still with only 14 players on the field of play, the R&Bs started the 2nd half 12-5 down but with renewed vigour putting Saltash under constant pressure.

Chris Kitto crossed for a close range try which was converted by Rob Hooper to even the score.

From the re-start, a shearing break from captain Paddy Jarman split Saltash’s defence and Kitto was on his shoulder to take a well-timed pass to cross for his second try which was converted by Hooper to regain the lead.

Venn returned to the field of play and the visitors continued to press and threaten Saltash’s line.

This pressure eventually took its toll when Liam Phillips smuggled his way over the line for an unconverted try to extend the lead.

Saltash response was a converted try of their own following some well organised attacks to get within touching distance of The R&Bs.

Replacement Josh Hancock eased any jingling nerves when he used his bulk and power to cross for an unconverted try, effectively taking the game beyond Saltash’s reach.

While not quite at their best in the first half, the R&Bs turned things around in the second half to achieve a valuable away win and deservedly come away with the spoils.

Up front, Joe Dyke’s accurate lineout throwing was a major contributing factor in this win while debutant Will Hodgson showed up well.

Saltash’s rush defence caused the R&Bs' three-quarters problems early on but they soon came to terms with this tactic with Ash Harney and captain Patrick Jarman catching the eye with some outstanding breaks.

This Saturday, St.Austell are the visitors to The Athletic Ground for a top of the table clash.

The Cornish side will be looking to bounce back following their surprise home defeat to Wadebridge last weekend so Wellington will need to be firing on all cylinders to maintain their winning ways.

Squad: Richards, Dyke, Walker(M), Venn, Walker (R), Hodgson (W), Phillips, Kitto, Goldstone, Jarman (C), Pitman, Gordan, Hodgson (G), Harney, Hooper, Brewer, Batts, Hancock

The 2nd XV travelled to Bristol Harlequins last Saturday with a much changed squad from previous outings due to injuries.

Further injuries during the match itself disrupted the team even more but they battled to the final minute, going down 64-10 to a well organised Harlequins outfit.

Western Counties (W)

Falmouth 46, Wiveliscombe 12

Wiveliscombe made their first trip to Cornwall to play Falmouth and had to field a team weakened by injuries and unavailable players, writes Roger Bellamy.

Those that took to the field deserve great credit for their effort across the 80 minutes.

The visitors competed well in set pieces but it didn't take to long for the home team to realise that the tactic to use was quick ball to their superior threes, who scored four of their five first half tries.

Full-back Olly Evans and winger Nick Carne scored two tries each with second row Alec Vincent adding a fifth. Fly-half Ken Rodda converted two.

Wiveliscombe's points in the first half came from winger Jake Sharland with a typical burst down the touchline.

The visiting supporters must have feared the worst in the early stages of the second half when captain John Ker, playing his first game after a concussion injury, had to leave the field with an injury.

Falmouth were looking to add to their points tally, hoping the visitors would tire as the game progressed, but Wivey made the home team work hard for possession and at times had good periods of play in and around the home team's 22.

As in the first half, Falmouth's threes scored three second half tries with Evans and Carne scoring a third try each and centre Rory Pugh crossing for the home team's final try. Rodda added one more conversion.

Wiveliscombe were rewarded for their efforts when fly-half George Rowe gathered his own kick ahead to score under the post.

He kicked the conversion for a final score of 46-12 in Falmouth's favour.

This Saturday, Wivey host Tiverton.

Somerset 2 (S)

Tor 2nd XV 10, Wiveliscombe 2nd XV 20

Wiveliscombe won this tight match at Glastonbury to continue their promising start to the season.

Jack Enticott and Zac Smale crossed for two tries apiece.

This Saturday, the 2nd XV are at home to Wells 2nd XV.