Somerset County Premier Division

Chard Town 4, Worle 2

THE Robins got some revenge for the defeat inflicted on the first day of the season and at the same time lifted themselves off the bottom of the table with this morale-boosting victory at Zembard Lane.

Andrew Holmes, playing as a striker, gave the attack a physically stronger look and went on to grab a well deserved hat-trick.

Chard took the lead on 14 minutes when James Boyland took the ball over on the left and sent in a low ball to the advancing Holmes who made no mistake from close range.

With Chard dominant, a second goal on 26 minutes was no surprise.

On this occasion, Holmes was the creator with a super long throw to the far post where Ryan Parris timed his leap to perfection to head past the Worle keeper.

Only three minutes into the second half, a third goal arrived for Chard with Holmes and Boyland involved again.

Following a cross from Boyland, a looping header from Holmes evaded the keeper and fell out of his reach into the top corner of the net.

Bizarrely, it was déjà vu within a minute with Boyland setting up goal number four as Holmes tapped in with ease.

Immediately, Worle stirred themselves and went on to cause the hosts some trouble as they sought to make amends down the slope.

The manager’s masterstroke was to introduce himself into the attack as substitute and he, Aaron Blakemore, got up to head past Owen Searle on 69 minutes.

With the visitors creating all the chances, Ryan Hodrien found himself advancing on Searle but the striker was thwarted by a vital one handed save from the Chard keeper.

Worle got their second goal on 86 minutes and it was Blakemore again launching himself to head in firmly.

With the referee adding eight minutes on, the visitors piled forwards and earned themselves a late penalty from a handball.

The Robins had the last laugh, however, as Blakemore crashed his penalty kick against the bar.

It was a good all-round team performance and apart from the effectiveness of the new Holmes/Boyland partnership there were useful contributions throughout, notably in defence with young Dan O’Connor showing a cool head and Chris Atyeo deputising ably for the injured Conor Richardson.

Chard: Owen Searle, Ryan Mason, Danny Cleal, Dan O’Connor, Chris Atyeo, Ryan Parris, Alex Harper, Josh Lukins, Andrew Holmes, James Boyland (Marky Jones 80), Liam Cleal

Somerset Senior Cup Second Round

Combe St Nicholas 1, Uphill Castle 2

COMBE welcomed high flying Division One team Uphill Castle to Slade’s Cross in the second round of the Senior Cup knowing it would be a tough game.

Uphill took control of the game and took the lead on eight minutes.

The Saints were at sixes and sevens with the visitors movement and so had to change formation to get a foothold in the game.

Combe soon settled and were unlucky when Kieran Manley cut out a short back pass but saw his shot drift just wide.

Combe came out a different side after the break and upped their tempo.

Against the run of play, however, they conceded a second goal after a defensive mix-up.

The Saints kept their heads up and got a goal back after great play by Joe Allen down the left; his cross was headed home by Jack Steer to set up an exciting last 15 minutes.

Uphill showed their experience to see the game out and to progress into the next round.

Combe face another tough cup test this Saturday, hosting unbeaten Division 2 leaders Middlezoy Rovers Reserves in the Division 2 & 3 Cup at Slades Cross (3pm).