Somerset Senior Cup
Second round
Burnham Utd 2, Nailsea Utd 2 (6-5 pen)

BURNHAM United go into the hat for the third round of the Senior Cup, after a thrilling penalty shoot-out win over Nailsea United on Saturday.

A fantastic double save from Fraser McDiarmid stopped Burnham going a goal down early in the game.

Nailsea did take the lead after beating the offside trap to go a goal up, then made it 2-0 with good solo effort.

Burnham started the second half on the front foot and were rewarded for their efforts with two goals in 10 minutes from Ryan Stiles to take the tie to penalties.

Burnham missed their first penalty, but then Darren Partridge and Jamie Merrick both scored before Nailsea missed their third penalty.

Joe Selway and McDiarmid scored, taking the tie into sudden death; Elliot Keen and Ed Lamb slotted home before man of the match McDiarmid saved Nailsea’s seventh penalty to send Burnham into the next round.

Uhlsport Somerset County League
Division 3
Cutters Friday 2, Burnham Utd Res 2

BURNHAM Reserves took home one point from their travels but, after going two goals up, they will feel like they left points in South Bristol.

Hard-working lone striker Dec Christie twisted and turned on the edge of the area, creating space to volley home midway through the first half.

Mike Stevens then added to his personal collection of exquisite finishes, this time highlighting his long-range prowess with a curling free-kick from 25 yards that nestled into the top left stanchion.

Cutters battled back with vengeance and, after some smart saves by back-up keeper Barnshaw, they finally equalised inside the final 10 minutes with the game stretched and there for the taking by either side.

MOM: Harvey Barnshaw

Atwell Memorial Shield
Axbridge Utd 4, Burnham Utd A 6

BURNHAM were on the road in the cup, to face Axbridge United.

An early goal for Burnham from Adam Boardman should have settled Burnham down but, unfortunately, it had a negative impact.

Complacency set in and Burnham were under pressure for long periods of the first half, which ended with them trailing 2-1.

A rallying team talk got the lads going, and Harry Wedgewood, Ryan Cushion, defender Matt Denman and Cain Smith (2) fired Burnham to a fine win.

Weston League Division 4
Nailsea Utd C 2, Burnham Utd B 2

A YOUNG side went to Nailsea and started the game brightly, going 1-0 after 20 minutes through Mike Burnell.

Nailsea grew into the game and, by half-time, were 2-1 up.

Burnham battled through the second half and pushed hard for the equaliser.

With the last kick of the game, Jaymie Whitehouse earned a well-deserved point after a hard-working team performance.

MOM: Callum Harris