Western Counties (W)

Wellington 51, Kingsbridge 20

The R&Bs welcomed Kingsbridge to The Athletic Ground last Saturday looking to put behind them the disappointment of the previous week, writes Allyn Chetland.

Wellington were quick out of the blocks and raced into a 14 point lead with tries from Chris Kitto and Liam Phillips, who showed some deft footballing skills, both of which were converted by Rob Hooper.

Kingsbridge had their moments and reduced the lead to 14-5 with an unconverted try.

Kitto replied in kind with an unconverted push over try soon after to extend the lead to 19-5.

Kingsbridge came bouncing back and, with the R&Bs reduced to 14 men following a series of penalties, crossed for another unconverted try.

The Devon side then had player sent to the sin bin following a high tackle towards the end of the half and the R&Bs took full advantage to score an unconverted try by Phillips, who this time showed some outstanding footwork to cross wide out.

A try by replacement Josh Hancock, who used his considerable bulk to barge over underneath the posts following a series of rucks, was converted by captain Patrick Jarman to make the half time score 31-10.

The second half started with Kingsbridge still down a player and the R&Bs once again in the ascendancy.

Following a scintillating attack, involving the majority of the team, Will Brewer crossed for an unconverted try much to the delight of the clubhouse faithful.

This score took any possibility of a comeback out of Kingsbridge thoughts but, to their credit, they crossed for an unconverted try soon afterwards to once again reduce the arrears.

Wellington were not finished themselves, scoring further close range tries by Kitto, who scored his third and fourth tries of the game and another close range effort by Regan Walker, all of which were unconverted.

In the final minute and with the final play Kingsbridge crossed for an unconverted try to make the final score 51-20 to the R&Bs.

With four tries to his name, Kitto rightly came in for particular praise but not far behind was Martin Walker, who had an excellent game in the front row in what was an excellent squad performance.

It was pleasing to see such a positive response after the defeat the previous week down in Cornwall.

This Saturday, the R&Bs make the short trip over the Blackdowns to take on Honiton.

The Devon side are new to the league this season & as such will be somewhat of an unknown quantity.

Squad: Richards, Dyke, Walker(M), Venn, Walker (R), Lee, Phillips, Kitto, Goldstone, Jarman (C), Pitman, Batts, Hodgson, Harney, Hooper, Brewer, Gordan, Hancock

Wellington 2nd XV travelled to Bridgwater last Friday and lost 14-13 in a highly entertaining encounter, the result of which could have gone either way.

Against a much heavier pack, the Wellington forwards more than held their own although they did find themselves under pressure in the scrum.

Out in the three quarters, the Wellington back division always looked the more dangerous with ball in hand.

Alex Davey, Joe Coppin and Ben Gamlin had fine games while the try scorers were Myles Evett and Callum Warren with Davey kicking a penalty.

Western Counties West

Wiveliscombe 8, St Austell 27

WIVELISCOMBE were expecting a tough afternoon on Saturday, with second-placed St Austell the opponents for their fourth Western Counties West encounter of the season, writes Roger Bellamy.

Wivey, playing down the slope in the first half, looked to put the visitors under early pressure and were rewarded with a penalty, after a spell of good play by the home forwards.

Dan Quick slotted the kick to make it 3-0 to the hosts.

St Austell had the opportunity to show their pedigree with 15 minutes gone, with good handling ending in a try for winger Fraser Bottle; Cav Boyer added the extras to give the visitors a 7-3 lead.

Wiveliscombe's set-pieces looked a lot more assured than last week's efforts at Chard, allowing their backs to to create chances.

Full-back Jake Sharland showed his form from last season to cross for Wivey's first try, and although it was unconverted the home side led 8-7.

The visitors hit back with a try from their standout No 8 Adam Kellow, following a driving maul, and with Boyer converting St Austell were 14-8 up at half-time.

Territory was shared equally in the second half, with both sides creating scoring opportunities, but St Austell were the team who took their chances, scoring two more tries through props Peter Rowe and Mark Shakespeare.

Full-back Boyer completed the visitors' scoring with a penalty, giving his side a 27-8 victory.

Wiveliscombe had their chances to make this a close game, but the step up to Western Counties level requires a step up in ability to take your opportunities, which will hopefully come with more rugby at this level.

This coming Saturday sees Wivey travel to Cullompton, who have lost all four of their matches so far this season.

Somerset 2 South

Morganians 49, Wiveliscombe 2nds 0

EARLY division leaders Morganians proved too strong for Wivey's second team, who did well to take their hosts the full 80 minutes.

Wivey 2nds are at home to Yeovil 2nds this Saturday.