Uhlsport Somerset County League
Premier Division
Worle 0, Middlezoy Rovers 1

THE last time Middlezoy Rovers tasted defeat was back in January, against Worle, but on Saturday Zoy had their revenge with an away win.

With a number of players either injured or away, it was a chance for some players to stake a claim for a starting spot.

Zoy should have been in front inside five minutes, only for Dan Luce to shoot straight at the goalkeeper.

The possession was fairly even in the first half, but it was Zoy creating the better chances.

The next chance fell to Luce again but his goalbound effort was superbly blocked by the Worle centre-back to deflect it out for a corner.

Clear chances were coming thick and fast for Zoy but they were struggling to convert them, and were hoping all these missed efforts weren’t going to prove costly.

Next to be put through on goal was Aaron Whaites as right-back Luke Taylor played a brilliant ball over the top, but Whaites’ attempted lob fell into the keeper’s hands.

Worle always looked dangerous going forward and had a couple of chances of their own, one being superbly saved by Greg Turner.

Before the half was out Jed Williams was twice put through one-on-one but lacked composure as the sides went in level.

In the second half, a delightful pass from Whaites set Adam Long through on goal; a goalmouth scramble followed but the ball was cleared off the line by Worle.

It looked like it was going to be one of those days but moments later Zoy finally took the lead.

Williams played in Luce, who went in for a 50/50; the keeper won the ball but the ball dropped at the feet of Long for him to smash past the covering defender and into the net.

Zoy’s back four defended brilliantly and, although in the closing stages Worle were seeing more of the ball, Turner in goal was not forced into any real saves.

Zoy held on for the 1-0 win which on another day could have been a lot more.

Man of the match: Luke Taylor

Their unbeaten run of 26 games continues; this Saturday they travel to Clevedon United (ko 3pm).


Uhlsport Somerset County League
Division 2
Middlezoy Rovers Reserves 2, Castle Cary 1

ON a windy day at the Aerodrome, Middlezoy looked to continue their unbeaten home run that extends over two seasons.

They were up against Castle Cary, who finished fourth in Division 2 last season, so a tough game was expected.

Zoy started sluggishly, as Castle Cary pressed early on, but after 10 minutes, the hosts began to settle and Craig Wright had a few chances early on, but he saw his efforts well blocked.

Zoy broke the deadlock on the 25-minute mark when substitute Tyler Atyeo, on for the injured Steve Hall, turned his man with his first touch before a cool finish into the top corner from the edge of the box.

The hosts doubled their lead on 35 minutes when a rehearsed set-piece routine saw Wright play in Simon Bone down the side of the opposition wall to cut a ball back for Danny Lismore to tap in.

The second half began in the same way the first ended, Zoy going forward at will, and they had the chance to extend their lead from the spot when the Castle Cary keeper punched Atyeo while waiting for a corner.

The penalty was taken by Bone who, for the second successive week, blazed it over the bar.

The hosts were then caught napping when a long ball was brought down, the forward was tackled, but the ball ricocheted for Chris Hibberd to score.

Despite that, Middlezoy held on for a 2-1 win.

Man of the match: Dan Male

This Saturday, Zoy host Brislington Reserves.