MIDDLEZOY Rovers go into Thursday night’s League KO Cup final against Minehead at Fairfax Park (ko 7.45pm) in fine fettle after two hard-fought away wins in the past week.

On Saturday, Zoy had a tough away day to a Stockwood Wanderers side they had beaten two weeks previously in the reverse fixture.

After a scrappy start, Zoy began to get the ball down and Charlie Lintell’s effort couldn’t beat the keeper after fine work down the left-hand side.

The hosts had a great chance to take the lead as sloppy play down the Zoy right meant the Stockwood winger was able to get a ball into the box to an unmarked striker, however a great save from Greg Turner was then cleared by the defence.

A few odd chances went to the visitors as they pressed to take the lead, but couldn’t convert as the teams went into half-time goalless.

Zoy knew they just needed to keep passing the ball as Stockwood sat in their half and let them have heavy possession.

Alex Male came to life and wanted to get on the ball as Zoy started to pop it around.

Zoy started to create pockets of space and got a lot of joy with balls in behind the Stockwood full-backs.

Good work between Lintell, Adam Long and Alex Clapp down the left found Lintell to whip a ball in and substitute Kenzie Farnham challenged the keeper; Jed Williams slotted home from close range but it was disallowed due to a foul on the keeper.

As Zoy huffed and puffed, chances went begging for Callum Laird, who had a header saved, as well as other opportunities with balls put into dangerous areas.

The introduction of Tom Cowd sparked life into the visitors as his engine pressed the Stockwood defence.

Zoy got the breakthrough they deserved after more good work down the left between Lintell and Long, the latter’s shot deflecting in with 12 minutes to go.

The game then fizzled out as the visitors went 14 unbeaten, taking them into Thursday night’s final in good nick.

The same cannot be said of their Division 1 opponents Minehead, who have conceded 22 goals in their last three matches.

MOTM: Alex Male

Last Wednesday, Middlezoy travelled to Clevedon and won 1-0, again thanks to a second half goal from Long.

The first chance fell to Matt Connick but the Clevedon defence recovered to clear the danger.

For all Zoy’s early pressure, they were finding clear chances hard to come by and were relying on crosses to help them find a breakthrough.

Clevedon looked dangerous on the break and a 25-yard free kick skimmed the Zoy bar to remind them they weren’t going to have it all their own way.

The second half was much the same as the first with Zoy dominating possession but failing to find a breakthrough or even trouble the Clevedon keeper.

It took until the 75th minute for the deserved goal to come when a corner was headed down by Alex Clapp for Long to hook home from six yards out.

This was a lead they kept to continue their fine form.

MOTM: Johnny Higgins


MIDDLEZOY Rovers Reserves face an anxious wait to determine whether they will be crowned Division 3 champions.

Zoy won their final match of the season on Saturday, as goals from Lee Graham and Carl Tucker gave them a 2-0 victory at home to Draycott.

That moved them on to 71 points, two clear of second-placed Cheddar Reserves, who will seal the title if they win at home to Banwell on Saturday.