Somerset Premier

Wiveliscombe 22, Burnham-on-Sea 12

BURNHAM-ON-SEA came to Wiveliscombe on Saturday with aspirations of a play-off spot after securing a position in the top three of the Somerset Premier standings in recent weeks, writes Roger Bellamy.

League leaders Wiveliscombe were confident in their own ability to win the game, after a hard-earned victory at Old Redcliffians 2nds the week before.

Playing down the slope in the first half, Wivey had to work hard against a well-organised Burnham defence, but as in previous games the home team had the edge up front with their scrummages and driving mauls.

The hosts crossed for three first-half tries, as Tom Litton – playing just his second 1st XV game this season – opened the scoring after good approach play from his fellow forwards.

The home team's second try came from their backs, who constructed an opening for centre Dan Quick to cross for a good try.

George Rowe converted to give Wivey a 12-0 lead.

Burnham had periods of play to suggest they were capable of scoring through their threes and forwards, and they crossed for their opening try when Jude Donnelly finished off a good period of play, making it 12-5.

But the hosts ran the ball whenever possible and were rewarded with a third try when Rowe crossed the visitors' line to give his team a 19-5 lead at half time.

Attacking down the slope in the second half, the away side were looking to pressurise Wivey, and this they did for extended periods of play.

Chris Warner crossed for Burnham's second try, converted by Tim Piper to close the gap to 19-12.

The home team finished the game strongly, though, and gained that all-important two-score lead when Rowe converted a late penalty, and the game finished 22-12.

Wiveliscombe lead the Somerset Premier table by 11 points after this win, and they must have been delighted with the performance of three youngsters who added to their good performances at Old Reds last week.

Playing a large role in this latest win, Tom Litton, Josh Stoddard and Jack Endicott all had good games.

Another young player in the Wivey team who deserves a special mention is front row forward Callum Lane, a hooker who has filled in at prop after the injury sustained by Will Ellis in training.

Somerset 2 South

Weston-super-Mare 4ths 38, Wiveliscombe 2nds 17

WIVELISCOMBE 2nds are still hunting for their first league victory of the season after this latest defeat at Weston-super-Mare.

Credit must be given to those players who turn out each week, and hopefully they will be rewarded for their devotion in weeks to come.

THIS coming Saturday, Wivey's 1st XV travel to Imperial, while the 2nds are at home to Minehead Barbarians 2nds.

Western Counties West

Wellington 54, Kingsbridge 22

KINGSBRIDGE were the visitors to The Athletic Ground last Saturday in what was a highly-charged league encounter, writes Allyn Chetland.

Playing away from the clubhouse in the first period, the Red & Blacks started well but it was the visitors who took an early lead via a converted try after a lapse in defence by the home side.

This early score did not dampen the R&Bs’ confidence, though, and they replied with a try by Jack Richards following a superb break by captain and outside half Paddy Jarman.

Full-back Davey made no mistake with the extras.

Further attacks followed, and No 8 Chris Kitto benefited from his pack’s scrum dominance to score a pushover try, which was duly converted by Davey to give the R&Bs a 14-7 lead.

Kingsbridge then got their hands on the ball and put the hosts under a bit of pressure, resulting in a penalty in front of the posts which was duly taken to reduce the lead to four points.

But the R&Bs’ response was immediate; Pitman scorched in for two outstanding tries, both converted by Davey, to extend the hosts’ advantage to 28-10 going into the half-time break.

Massive pressure was exerted on the visitors’ line for the first 10 minutes of the second half, Kitto scoring after the pack had shunted over - Davey again converted.

Kingsbridge then had their purple patch for the next 15 minutes, scoring two tries to reduce the arrears to 35-22.

Wellington re-gathered and dusted themselves down for the final 15 minutes, going on to score three more outstanding tries in front of the clubhouse faithful.

The first was by scrum-half Dan Goldstone, who gathered a loose ball in his own half, chipped ahead into a vast amount of space, then outpaced the covering defenders for a delightful individual try.

Tyler Hart was next to cross, as he gathered a deft cross-field kick from Jarman, with Davey making no mistake with the conversion.

In the dying minutes, flanker Liam Phillips crossed following a tremendous attacking lineout move; Davey converted to make the final score 54-22.

The front row of Jack Richards, Joe Dyke and Ryan Marke gave their opposite numbers a torrid time, while back rows Phillips and Kitto covered every blade of grass.

The three-quarters also made a huge contribution, with Pitman outstanding in his first run out in the centre.

Wellington: Richards, Dyke, Marke, Walker R, Walker M, Kitto, Phillips, Jenkinson, Goldstone, Jarman, Hart, Pitman, Batts, Harney, Davey, Hooper, Hancock, Price.

This Saturday sees Wellington travel to Paignton.