A DISABLED person was rescued after a fire at a Somerset flat.

Fire control were called to reports of an alarm sounding and the smell of burning at Maple Road in Curry Rivel at 1.22pm on Sunday (February 23).

Firefighters from Taunton, Martock and Ilminster were sent to the incident. 

Upon arrival crews confirmed smell of burning within ground floor flat, crews gained entry and rescued one disabled casualty. 

The fire was caused by unattended cooking. 

Crews used two breathing apparatus, one attack jet, one safety jet and one thermal image camera. 

Crews administered oxygen therapy until the arrival of the ambulance service.

The cause of the fire was accidental.