Abandoned barbecues almost caused a serious fire at one of the area's most popular beaches.

The collection of disposable barbecues were discovered this morning left in the disabled toilets near Church Cove and Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe.

The heat from the barbecues had caused the walls nearby to blacken and the plastic covering start to melt and burn.

This is The West Country:

The barbecues in the toilets at Gunwalloe. Photo: Lizard National Trust 

As a result, the disabled toilet has had to be closed for the foreseeable future.

The Lizard National Trust said: "We discovered this near miss at Gunwalloe today.

"Please could visitors help us by disposing of rubbish and barbecues in a safe manner by taking them home once cooled.

"This resulted in the disabled toilets being closed until further notice.

"Have fun but please be safe too."