Members of Wendron United Football Club paid an emotional tribute to their chairman at their Underlane ground yesterday.

Wendron played host to Liskeard Athletic in the club’s first match since the death of Kevin Williamson, who died last Sunday.

Although they put in a sterling effort, they were unable to prevent Liskeard from winning the Cornwall Charity Cup quarter-final tie by one goal to nil, but the result didn’t matter. The day was about remembering a Wendron icon.

The match took place seven days after their last; an historic Cornwall Senior Cup quarter-final victory at home to local rivals Porthleven, which saw the Dron reach the semi-final for the first time in the club’s history.

But the result was quickly forgotten when Mr Williamson collapsed in the home dressing room shortly after full-time.

A team of First Aiders were able to revive him using a defibrillator and he was taken to Treliske Hospital by Cornwall Air Ambulance, but the father-of-three passed away on Sunday afternoon.

Mr Williamson joined the club in the early 1990s and went on to play a major role in most parts of the football and cricket club, including a stint as joint-manager of the football club’s first team alongside fellow club stalwart Peter Thorne.

He served on Wendron’s committee for a number of years and, in November 2007, was elected chairman – a position he has held since, always being returned unopposed at the AGM.

In recent years, he has raised many thousands of pounds of grants and prizes from various community funds that have provided vital cash for ground improvements, like spectator accommodation, disabled access, solar panels and solar batteries.

This is The West Country:

The Wendron United first team, coaching staff and various club officials, with members of Mr Williamson's family

The decision was made to postpone the second, third and fourth team fixtures on Saturday as a mark of respect, but the first team’s cup match with Liskeard went ahead in the hope that people would turn out in their droves to celebrate the life of a man who had given so much to the club.

And so it proved. More than 200 people turned up despite an ominous weather forecast to show their support to the club and pay their respects to Mr Williamson.

To put that number into perspective, it was more than double the number of those in attendance for the previous week’s historic Senior Cup tie against Porthleven.

That support was not limited to the Wendron faithful, with members of local rivals Helston Athletic’s reserve side turning up after their match at St Agnes was postponed.

Those that had turned up were able to do so for free with the club waiving gate receipts for the game, instead collecting donations for Cornwall Air Ambulance which, according to a post on the club’s Twitter page on Saturday evening, had reached £1,195 and was still rising.

Attendees were also given a special edition of “The Wendron Whirlwind” match programme, which was dedicated to Mr Williamson.

Inside was a statement from the Cornwall FA who offered their condolences, while first-team manager Jack Greenwood recalled the events of the previous week and paid his own tribute in his programme notes, as did Mr Williamson’s sons and daughter: Adam, Simon and Claire.

Another page told the tale of Kevin’s love story with Wendron, another was a heartfelt tribute from Club President Joss Bray, while the centrefold displayed a picture montage with nostalgic images from his time with the cricket and football clubs.

In a break from the usual match routine, the Wendron squad came out 25 minutes before kick-off for a series of club photographs, together with some of Mr Williamson’s family.

This is The West Country:

Wendron football chairman Peter Thorne addresses the crowd before the game

While the team returned to the dressing room to prepare for the match, Peter Thorne delivered an emotional speech to everyone in attendance, in which he asserted that the field across the road used for overflow car parking would be full by the time the game kicked off. He wasn’t too far off.

The team returned for kick-off and, alongside the Liskeard Athletic players, made their way onto the pitch with Marching On Together, the anthem of Mr Williamson’s beloved Leeds United, ringing from the PA system.

The players and coaching staff from both sides, along with the match officials, made their way to the centre circle, where three wreathes had been laid, for a minute’s silence which was impeccably observed.

The emotional and touching pre-match tributes were over and it was time for the players to take centre stage.

This is The West Country:

The teams emerge from the dressing rooms ahead of kick-off

Wendron began the game well and carved a decent number of chances, although it was Liskeard’s James Lorenz who had the best opportunity of the half. His six-yard strike was, however, denied by the boot of Wendron ‘keeper Dan Stedman, who is one of the latest in a long line of graduates of Wendron’s impressive youth football setup, with Mr Williamson having played a big role in its success over the years.

The home side stepped up their efforts in the second half and left Liskeard’s goal leading a charmed life. Striker Rory Jarvis had a shot saved before his cross was smashed against the post by a visiting defender. Jarvis then put another shot inches wide before midfielder Cameron Wheat dropped another onto the roof of the net.

Those misses would prove crucial as Liskeard, who have not been beaten in any of their 16 league games this season, scored the only goal of the game with 20 minutes to go when Lyle Johnson took aim from 25 yards and found the bottom corner.

The hosts battled to the very end but could not find a way past visiting ‘keeper Jamie Blatchford, as Liskeard held on to book their spot in the semi-finals.

Beaten on the scoreboard but certainly not in spirit, the players were clapped off the pitch by the supporters who recognised the effort the team had showed in difficult circumstances.

This is The West Country:

Wendron United midfielder Cameron Wheat (right) in action during Saturday's game

After the game, Greenwood told the Packet: “My overriding feeling at the minute is one of pride. In terms of the way the club has acted this week everyone, particularly the boys.

“I didn’t think it would happen but at the back of my mind I was like: ‘I just hope we don’t falter, I hope we show up today,’ and the boys couldn’t have done any more."

Greenwood went on to praise the club for the way they had dealt with the events of last week, saying: “I think the club have, from start to finish, just conducted themselves fantastically.

“It’s been a real rollercoaster of a week and not for good reasons, from the moment that Pete [Thorne] called me to go and help with Kevin and the way that everyone reacted to that in the immediate aftermath and Sunday, to the way the club has presented today has been just second to none.

“I know I’m biased and it’s my club but Wendron is a special club, as is every club, but it’s a real family feel here and the amount of people that have turned out to see Kevin but ultimately show their respects to Wendron, which is a club that Kevin has been so instrumental in getting to where it is today, like I say, it’s just a massive feeling of pride from me today.

“We conducted ourselves really, really well and I think everyone should be really pleased with how they’ve behaved this week, it’s been a fantastic effort.”

The tributes to Mr Williamson moved from the pitch to the clubhouse where many people had stayed on after the game to raise a glass to the man.

With that the day was over, but there is little doubt that his legacy will live on forever at the club.

The club will hope to continue Mr Williamson's fine work in the future, with Joss Bray acknowledging in his tribute that the club will hope to fulfill his wish for the club to obtain floodlights.

But Saturday was all about celebrating what he had done for the club thus far.

Greenwood echoed this sentiment when he signed off his programme notes, saying: “Enjoy the game Kevin, this one is for you.”

This is The West Country: