FOOD left in an unattended oven damaged the kitchen in a Somerset home.

Fire crews from Martock, Somerton and Yeovil were called to Moorlands Close, Martock, at around 9.05pm on Thursday night (January 16).

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "On arrival, crews confirmed smoke issuing from property.

"Therefore, the incident commander sent in two firefighters in breathing apparatus to tackle the fire with a hose reel.

"The fire involved unattended food left within the oven.

"Crews naturally ventilated the property by opening the doors and windows. The kitchen suffered minor damage and was deemed accidental."