A FIRE which started in the back garden before spreading to two homes in Taunton has been put out.

Fire crews rushed to Queensway in Taunton to discover a fire which started to the rear of the house and involved a hedgerow and garden furniture.

The flames had spread to two nearby homes, and so a second fire crew was called to the scene.

The incident happened at shortly after 4.15pm today (September 5).

The fire crews used a hose reel jet to put out the flames, and a thermal imagining camera to check for fire spread.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "The garden furniture and hedgerow was totally destroyed by fire and there was 20 per cent external fire damage to both properties.

"The cause of the fire was accidental."