EMERGENCY services rushed to help after a person was spotted 'unresponsive' at the bottom of a cliff edge in a race against the tide.

Watchet Coastguard was called to Helwell Bay following reports the person was unresponsive while the tide was rising quickly yesterday evening (July 17).

The RNLI was also called to assist due to the tricky location, but lifeboats were unable to access the person.

A spokesman for the coastguard said: "Unable to access the base of the cliff by beach access points a cliff rescue was required, while the lifeboats made their way to the scene from RNLI Lifeboat Station, Minehead.

"To aid our team in setting up the cliff rescue equipment to enable the technicians to get over in the correct place, one of the 1st Watchet Sea Scout Safety Boats which was out overseeing a boating session positioned itself off in front of the casualty, unable to land and offer assistance due to the sea conditions and depth of water.

"Arriving on scene quickly from our nearby station, our cliff rescue technicians Gary Morgan and Richard Nicholas were soon making their way down the cliff onto the cliff base which was cut off by the flooding tide where they found the unresponsive casualty and began giving casualty care."

Devon Air Ambulance arrived to drop off two paramedics, who were only just able to access the casualty from the remaining exposed area of the beach as the tide came in.

The air ambulance then landed at the Queen Bee Site at Doniford while a second air ambulance arrived.

The spokesman added: "Due to the immediacy of the situation and the fact the area they were operating was fast going under water, the unresponsive casualty was placed into a rescue strop and immediately winched by the Coastguard Helicopter and placed onto the cliff top where the rest of the coastguards were waiting along with a critical care doctor and a land ambulance.

"The casualty was immediately placed into the land ambulance where the paramedics and doctor continued the urgent medical care required."

The person was taken to hospital following the rescue mission, where they remain in a 'serious condition'.

"Our thoughts are with them, and their friends and family at this time." the coastguard added.