A CORONER has returned an open verdict in the inquest into the death of Minehead man Luke Beaver.

Luke, 28, of Queen’s Road, Minehead, was found dead at his home on February 15 this year.

In a statement read by senior coroner Tony Williams at Taunton Coroner’s Court, Sara Corbett said she asked Mr Beaver if he would like to go out for drinks on Wednesday, February 14, but he declined and bought some wine and took it home to drink.

The inquest heard he later changed his mind and met up with Ms Corbett and her friend, Wendy Hunt, at a pub for drinks later that evening.

“Luke arrived at the pub at 10pm and he was drunk,” Sara said. “Luke and I ended up arguing, he was making comments towards me.

“I told him if he didn’t stop he would lose me as a friend. I had enough and got a taxi home from the pub.”

Ms Corbett says after she returned home from the pub, Wendy sent her a text message asking for Luke’s address as she was concerned for his welfare.

She then sent a message to Mr Beaver and asked him what was wrong.

Mr Beaver then replied with a number of messages and told Ms Corbett how she meant more to him than just a friend.

The inquest heard Ms Corbett said she then received another message from Wendy who said Mr Beaver had made a comment which concerned her.

Ms Corbett immediately called Mr Beaver but got no response so got in her car and rushed to his home.

She said when she arrived she found Mr Beaver and called emergency services for help.

A post mortem report from Dr Holiwell, from Musgrove Park Hospital, confirmed the cause of death was hanging.

He said a toxicology report confirmed Mr Beaver was two times over the drink drive limit on the night of his death but no drugs were found in his system.

Speaking at the inquest, Mr Beaver’s father, Richard Beaver, said: “He wanted to make a point and prove that point to someone.

“It was one step too far.

“If he had communicated with one of us it would have been completely different.”

Senior coroner Tony Williams said: “The evidence has not disclosed the means by which the cause of death arose.

“On February 15 Luke was found suspended by the neck but we don’t know what his intentions were.”

  • Support is available to people who need it from a number of charities, including the Samaritans. Visit their website here.

Luke and his mother, Karen, were dedicated fundraisers for the Somerset Unit for Radiotherapy Equipment (SURE), which buys items for the Beacon Centre at Musgrove Park Hospital.