Western Counties West

Truro 39, Chard 8

ANOTHER disappointing day away from home for Chard, who have now slipped to only one place above the relegation zone but they do have eight points in hand over Paignton and Bideford below them, writes Glyn Hughes.

A much-changed Chard team again hit by injuries including the loss of last week’s star man Joe Mainwaring had several players coming in to make their debut at this level.

Chard had the early possession and territory but were caught out by the fast running Truro backs who raced through to score four first half tries with these coming from full-back Tidball (2), Boon and Davey.

A couple of conversions from Davey added to the score and the interval was reached with Truro leading by 24-3 with Chard’s only score coming from the boot of Ieuan Watkins, who kicked a penalty.

Coach Jim Wagstaff reported that the Chard forwards were terrific in the set pieces and flanker Jason Wright took the man of the match award for the visitors with a splendid performance.

Unfortunately Chard had no answer to the Truro backs, who clearly had made the decision to run the ball from anywhere, and full-back Tidball scored two more tries in the second half.

The dependable Warren Lewis got a well-deserved try for Chard but the visitors were well beaten on the day and will be hoping for better things next Saturday when they host Wadebridge.

Supporters please note that this game will kick off at the earlier time of 2pm.

Paul Gammage is organising the annual SP lunch at the club prior to this game so anyone who has not yet replied to him should do so on 07802 471980. Meet from noon onwards.

Somerset 2 South

Chard 2nds 24, Somerton 3

WITH the main pitch being unfit this game was transferred to the Crewkerne Road Ground and was watched by a healthy crowd.

Chard took an early lead when fly-half Sam Mouland slotted over a straightforward penalty.

Mouland would go on to have a fine game as his sound kicking gained territory for the team and he created many opportunities for his fellow backs to run the ball.

Chard had at least six clear cut chances to score tries in the first half but poor passing and lots of dropped passes did them no favours.

Credit also to the visitors for some excellent last-ditch tackling.

Just before half-time the dominant Chard forwards put Somerton under pressure on their own line and hooker Ben Partridge forced his way over for the first try.

Mouland converted from the touchline to give Chard a 10-0 half-time lead.

Chard made several changes in the second half to ensure that the whole squad got time on the pitch.

Ben Stead should have scored and set up several tries but again basic errors saw the chances slip away.

Somerton got back into the game with a penalty of their own before Chard went further ahead when Matt Dunn playing in the centre ran powerfully through the middle and burst through several despairing tackles to score under the posts. Mouland added the extras.

The Chard team were now playing strongly with particularly good performances from Ash Wilson-Bryant and Tom Spurway particularly noticeable.

In the final quarter Stead broke through to score a third try for Chard which was again converted by Mouland.

Coaches Luke Aplin and Gavin Watts as well as skipper Brian Sugar were not only pleased with the win but also by the continued improvement shown by the team which in no small part is due to their undoubted team spirit.

Chard 2nd XV are away at Bridgwater next Saturday (2pm).

Somerset 3 South

Wells 3rds 12, Chard 3rds 10

CHARD had the hill to contend with in the first half and Wells piled on the pressure with relentless attacks the visitors defend with all they had.

Wells finally broke through and the kicker calmly slotted the extras.

With what seemed like scrum practice for the next period, Chard were forced to maintain their defence and did so for a long period but wells again got through and added five to their tally.

It was Chard’s turn to break from the boot of Neil Henley with a chip and chase from his own 22 with David Lock collecting only for his pass to be deemed forward.

The second half got underway and although not as effective as Wells going down hill, the play was now mostly in the hosts half, Chard kept up the attacks and eventually was rewarded when Gavin Smillie when over in the corner to make it 10-5.

Wells made a few breaks but the solid tackling from Chard kept them out and the game was finished when Stuart Sugar ran the length of the pitch to score.

The Wells team had tracked back all the way and kept him out wide to force a difficult kick, which was missed to seal Wells' victory.