Somerset Junior Cup semi-final
Templecombe Rovers 0, Middlezoy Rovers Res 1

MIDDLEZOY Rovers Reserves travelled to Templecombe rovers for another away tie in the Somerset Junior Cup. 

The pitch was playable, though pretty wet in places, and the game got underway amid strong wind and driving rain. 

The visitors started the brighter, with a few half chances falling to Scott Peters that were easily saved by the home keeper. 

Peters was playing well and soon jinked into the box and went down in a challenge with the centre-half, but the penalty appeal was waved away. 

With the pitch starting to cut up the hosts came into the game, threatening down the right-hand side and playing up to their striker, who was holding up the ball well and bringing in other players. 

Scott Rich saved well in a one-on-one with the Templecombe striker as Middlezoy defended well against a pressing home side and a strong wind, reaching half-time at 0-0.

Both teams continued to try and play football on an increasingly difficult pitch and, on the hour, the breakthrough came when Peters was through one-on-one.

His first strike was well saved but the rebound fell kindly back to him, and with the outside of his right foot he lofted the ball into the net over a back-pedalling defender to hand Zoy the lead.

The hosts started pressing for an equaliser but Middlezoy defended well and then saw a far stronger penalty appeal denied as a shot looked to have been handled by a defender – only a corner was given.

Both sides started making changes to freshen it up as the pitch was heavy and there were tired legs visible. 

The hosts began to pile on the pressure, throwing cross after cross into the Zoy box, and the visitors put bodies on the line and made last-ditch tackles. 

With almost the last kick of the game the referee gave a free-kick to the hosts for a dubious handball just outside Middlezoy box. 

Thankfully the Templecombe skipper put it into the wall, Middlezoy cleared their lines and the final whistle blew to secure Zoy’s place in the Junior Cup final.

They will play Frome Collegians, who beat Bishops Lydeard Reserves 2-1 in the other semi-final

Man of the Match - Simon Bone 

THIS weekend, Zoy’s first team travel to Staplegrove and the reserves host Woolavington.

South West Women’s League Premier Division
Keynsham Town Development 1, Middlezoy Rovers Ladies 3

AFTER the disappointing results recently, Middlezoy were buoyed by the return of Sarah Carling from injury alongside Cheryl Baber and Nicole Bell, who both recently re-signed.

On a 3G surface and with a blustery wind, neither side took the initiative, but Keynsham took the lead on 10 minutes.

After 15 minutes, Bell was introduced into the midfield and the game took a significant change. 

Middlezoy began to take control and levelled the score on 26 minutes when Bell drilled home a 25-yard shot into the bottom corner.

Their tails up, Middlezoy took control and were rewarded when Bell hit an unbelievable free-kick from 40 yards into the top corner.

In the second half play evened out but Middlezoy’s goal was only threatened occasionally.

The game was sealed on the hour when Baber was brought down by the Keynsham keeper and Anusia Rourke stepped up to put the penalty away.

Middlezoy dealt comfortably with anything Keynsham had to offer and held firm to record their first victory of the year.

This was an excellent all-round performance from the Ladies, who go into next week’s home match against leaders Torquay United (2pm) with confidence.