Buildbase FA Trophy - second round qualifying (replay)
Beaconsfield Town 1, Taunton Town 1 (aet) (6-7 pen)

TAUNTON Town progressed to the Buildbase FA Trophy third round qualifying after a penalty shootout victory at Beaconsfield Town on Monday night.

The game finished 1-1, with Matt Wright scoring the Peacocks' goal, and the visitors kept their cool to win 7-6 on spot-kicks and set up a home tie with Concord Rangers in the next round.

Manager Leigh Robinson was forced to make three changes to the line-up, with Pierce Mitchell and Dan Sullivan injured, and Ben Palmer unable to travel due to work, meaning starts for Les Afful, Omar Simpson and Ross Staley - with Matt Buse shifted to right wing-back.

And in the mirror image of Saturday's game, the visitors played poorly in the first half, creating no chances of note (much like Beaconsfield at the Viridor Stadium).

They trailed at the break, as Dan Brown - who scored the equaliser on Saturday - converted a cross after the hosts caught their opponents on the counter-attack on 23 minutes.

The Peacocks began to create more chances in the second half - Afful being denied when through one-on-one and Buse hitting the outside of the post - but struggled to find a finish.

Throwing assistant manager Michael Meaker into the fray for the closing stages, they levelled on 84 minutes when captain Wright powered home Afful's cross.

The game went to extra time, where the Peacocks dominated and forced a series of corners, but could not find a winner.

So the tie would be decided by penalties, and both sides were successful with their first six spot-kicks (Afful, Shane White, Ryan Brett, Ollie Chamberlain, Wright and Buse netting for the Peacocks).

The hosts' seventh penalty went over the bar, and Staley stepped up to win the match, much to the delight of the loyal band of followers, who faced a long journey home in the middle of the night.

Taunton host Concord Rangers on Saturday, November 25; before then, it's back to league action this coming Saturday, and a tricky trip to Evesham United.