TAUNTON won 3-0 at Didcot Town yesterday in only their third match of 2014, writes James Wright.

Missing just Nat Pepperell from the first choice starting line-up, the Peacocks made a promising start with Jamie Price and Jamie Short linking up well down the right flank to create some half decent openings.

They were however indebted to Joe Perry who scurried back to tip over a viciously swerving forty yard free kick by home left-back Matt Woodley in the fifth minute.

Ross MacNab headed a Lewis Tasker corner just over the bar as Taunton continued to knock at the door.

At the other end, Owen Irish bravely dived in to deny John Mills as he looked poised to convert at the far post, then Perry parried a strong left-foot drive by Ben Whitehead.

On his debut after signing from Buckland Athletic, Ben Carter had the best chance of the first half, but Didcot keeper James Foster got down well to block the midfielder's shot.

The visitors continued to boss proceedings after the break.

Rob Norrish saw a shot deflected wide and Price headed Tasker's resultant corner over the bar. Foster then did brilliantly to keep out a superb Tasker shot but was helpless in the 59th minute.

Strikers MacNab and Chris Young exchanged passes, the former slipping the ball to Steve Kingdon for an emphatic far post finish.

Two minutes later the lead was doubled, Short setting up MacNab for his first goal since rejoining the club from Clevedon.

Woodley curled a free-kick just over as Didcot briefly threatened a riposte, but on a counter attack MacNab muscled off his marker and slipped home Taunton's third in five minutes.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of the home side, and Taunton could afford bad misses by Young and his eventual replacement Steve Murray as they coasted to a first win at Didcot since an FA Cup tie at the old Station Road ground in 1997.

Star Man: Jamie Short (Taunton) Didcot: James Foster, Sam Elkins, Matt Woodley, Michael McKirnan (Josh Baines 72), Luke Carnell (captain), Tom Franklin, Josh Dutton-Black, Jamie Heapy (Ollie Thomas 84), Pablo Haysham, John Mills, Ben Whitehead (Jack Longford 72).

Taunton: Joe Perry, Jamie Price (captain), Steve Kingdon, Owen Irish, Ben Mammola, Rob Norrish (Simon Ingram 84), Jamie Short, Ben Carter, Chris Young (Steve Murray 76), Ross MacNab, Lewis Tasker. Unused subs: Nathan Rudge, Andy Robertson, Shane Kingston.

Referee: Sam Ogles (Eastleigh).

Assistants: Karl Sear (Southampton), Steve Graham (Totton).

Attendance: 92.