Fey left to rue Robins' luck after defeat at Yate

This is The West Country: Fey left to rue Robins' luck after defeat at Yate Fey left to rue Robins' luck after defeat at Yate

Calor League South & West

Yate Town 2, Bridgwater Town 1

BRIDGWATER Town manager Richard Fey was left to rue his side’s ill fortune as they went down 2-1 at yate Town on Saturday.

The Robins lost the influential Chris McGrath to injury during the warm-up and Fey says things just aren’t going for Bridgwater at the moment. He said: “I’m disappointed again but I can’t fault the boys again for their effort – Yate are a good side with a good budget and looked a lot fresher than us.

“We lost Chris McGrath in the warm-up with a calf injury and then Geraint Bater came off at half-time with a chest problem. Craig Loxton and Kris Miller both came off with arm injuries as well – things aren’t going for us and we aren’t getting any luck.

“But having said that, Daine O’Connor had three simple chances and we could have been 3-0 up.”

Bridgwater made the brighter start and were knocking the ball about well with some accurate passing. O’Connor failed to control a bouncing ball from almost under the crossbar after 13 minutes.

The Robins took the lead on 25 minutes with a very well worked goal – O’Connor raced down the right hand side and delivered a cross towards Bushin at the far post.

The striker rose well to nod the ball back across goal, where Page was waiting to fire home.

But their lead lasted only three minutes when Lewis Haldane was the first to react after Craig Allan’s effort had been blocked.

The visitors were beginning to look vulnerable at the back, not least when on two occasions - Yate had chances when Bridgwater defenders were down injured.

As the half came to a close, Bridgwater pressed and Yate needed a goal line clearance to keep things level after a moment of panic in the home defence.

Bater, who had been the pick of Bridgwater’s midfield, was unable to resume after the interval and was replaced by Wring.

Miller started the half in lively fashion - beating two defenders on his way forward, but his finish from a good position lacked composure.

Yate then had two efforts from distance as the game became more stretched and the hosts took the lead midway through the half when Cox was on hand to finish from five yards after more good work from Rodgers.

O’Connor immediately had a chance to equalise when a free-kick was headed across goal, but the unmarked striker nodded over the bar with only the keeper to beat.

On 72 minutes, Bridgwater had a great shout for a penalty turned down when Miller was brought down.

This proved to be visitor’s last chance of getting back into the game as Yate dominated the closing stages.

Bridgwater Town: Wright, Miller (Faux 84), Warren, Allan, Robbins, Bater (Wring 46), Wilson, Loxton (Osman 89), O’Connor, Bushin, Page.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree