Hugh Sexey Middle School still closed after fire (January 24)

Hugh Sexey Middle School still closed after fire (January 24)

Hugh Sexey Middle School still closed after fire (January 24)

First published in Somerset
Last updated
by

A WEDMORE school remains closed after a fire broke out in an electrical cabinet yesterday (January 23).

Fire alarms at Hugh Sexey Middle School, in Blackford, were triggered from smoke emerging from an empty classroom at around 10.20am and the whole school was evacuated within two minutes.

Head teacher Jenny Venning will be meeting with representatives from the Local Authority today (January 24) to assess the situation but says the school will also be closed tomorrow.

Ms Venning wrote on the school’s website: “As soon as the fire started the electricity supply was taken out and with it, our phones. The whole of the main school building was completely sealed off and remained sealed off for the rest of the day.

“The fact our phone systems were down and the main school building wasn't accessible caused problems for us trying to contact parents to collect children.

“However, by the end of the day nearly everyone had been collected. I would like to thank those parents who took time to pass on their thanks to staff for the way the situation had been handled.”

She also praised the children for their outstanding behaviour, adding: “It certainly makes me aware that we truly have an outstanding school.”

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene, with two fire appliances from Cheddar. Another four appliances from Burnham and Wells were mobilised, along with a Command Support vehicle from Street, to begin stripping roof tiles to gain access to the roof space in order to put out the blaze.

Ms Venning wrote: “By the time the fire service arrived the fire had really taken hold.

“Miss D'Auria's laptop was brought out by one of the firemen - sadly it had melted. The room didn't look too good either.”

She said smoke affected a lot of the building, and the classroom in which the fire began needs to be cleared and repaired. The electricity cables coming into the school and those feeding electricity out to the school were very badly damaged.

Parents are asked to check the school website for updates.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree