CREEDY Park Estate in Sandford, near Crediton, will open its gates to the public for the first time in more than ten years for charity.

The privately-owned house and estate will host a Woodland Walk and Tea Party to help raise funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care on Sunday, May 1.

The original Creedy House was built by Robert Davy in the 16th century, but was rebuilt in the Jacobean style after the house was destroyed in a fire in November 1915.

During the First World War, the house was used by 48th Division on their return from Dunkirk, and later by the home guard.

And in 1960, Princess Margaret came to stay at Creedy Park while unveiling the new St Boniface statue in Crediton.

Today, the estate is divided into ten homes that share the 15 acres of remaining woodland which has been restored and maintained.

And for the first time in ten years, it will be open to visitors.

A spokesman for the estate said: “Displays and photographs of years gone by will be on display, together with work produced by Sandford Heritage Group on the local farming over the last century, and Sandford Chuch and village.

“Visitors on the day can wander through the beautiful woodlands, which are expected to be covered with bluebells, before relaxing on the formal lawns with a homemade cream tea while listening to a wind quartet.”

The estate will be open between 1.30pm and 4.30pm.

Entry is £2.50, and accompanied children under 12 years can get in free.