A WELL-known Tiverton pub has been left seriously damaged after a large fire ripped through the building yesterday morning.
Fire crews were called to the Twyford Inn on Bampton Street, Tiverton, at around 10am following reports of smoke pouring from the first floor.
Around 50 firefighters were called to tackle the blaze, as Tiverton town centre was brought to a standstill.
Residents from nearby properties were evacuated and a cordon was set up along Bampton Street.
Mid Devon District Council have since been called in to advise on safety and structural issues caused to the building.
The Council’s emergency planning officer and homelessness team also liaised with the emergency rest centre set up by the town council and were also ready in case any neighbouring residents needed temporary accommodation, which turned out not to be necessary.