Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting COUNTY GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Devon & Somerset Fire Service urge safety this Christmas
3:00pm Saturday 21st December 2013 in Devon
CHRISTMAS is almost here and there is a lot to think about – but Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service want you to celebrate Christmas safely this year.
Although it's important all year round, the extra distractions at Christmas make it vital to be vigilant during the festive season. More than half of accidental fires during the Christmas period are started in the kitchen making this a high risk area.
With the Christmas celebrations well under way it’s tempting after an evening of festive drinking to get the munchies.
We would encourage you to choose takeaway rather than cooking when you get home as after a night out the cause of a kitchen fire is often falling asleep after putting the food on.
There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen: • Never leave cooking unattended - a moment’s distraction can lead to damage in your home to the value of thousands of pounds – or in the worst case a tragedy • Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, e.g. by a phone call • With all the Christmas celebrations avoid cooking after drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration • Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily • Turn saucepans so the handles don't stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring Finally, ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home.
Test your smoke alarms on a regular basis and never remove batteries to power presents.
Comments are closed on this article.