Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting COUNTY GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Gas leak alert at disused Plymouth nightclub clears pubs and club
10:50am Monday 23rd September 2013 in Devon
A gas leak at a disused nightclub in Plymouth closed nearby roads on Sunday.
At approximately 3am on September 22 a gas leak was detetcted inside the disused Millenium nightclub complex in Union Street, Plymouth.
A police spokesman said that the gas may have been leaking for some time inside the building from a ruptured pipe and in order to ensure public safety Devon & Cornwall Police closed Union Street to vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
Two Trees and Crash Manor public houses were evacuated as well as Jesters Nightclub. Police officers guided revellers outside of the cordoned area. Local fast food outlets were also evacuated. There were no reports of disorder as a result of the evacuation.
By 4.40am the levels of gas had fallen sufficiently that the risk to the general public had passed and Union Street was re-opened to traffic and the public.
Devon Ambulance Service attended the scene in support of the Police and the Fire Service as well as engineers from Western Wales Gas and Plymouth Highways Department.
No persons were injured during the incident.
Further investigation will take place by gas engineers.
Comments are closed on this article.