Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting COUNTY GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Warning after barbecue blast at Devon campsite
9:00pm Friday 30th August 2013 in Devon
FIRE chiefs are warning people not to light barbecues with white spirit after a teenager and his dog were severely burnt following an explosion at a campsite.
A 15-year-old boy was airlifted to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol after using the accelerant, which created a fireball, at the Kingsmead Centre in Clayhidon at 7.30pm on Wednesday, August 21.
The Devon & Somerset Fire Service is now warning people never to use flammable liquids on barbecues.
A spokesman said: “Many of us can’t wait to get the barbecue lit and we all know how tempting it can be to give stubborn coals a helping hand, but we’d remind you to please be patient and make sure you use the right tools for the job.
“Every year there are occasions when people pour petrol or white spirit on to charcoal in an effort to get it going, and the reaction, not surprisingly, has been violent and highly dangerous, often creating a fireball.”
The family, who did not want to be identified, thanked the emergency services for their fantastic response time and professional help.
Kingsmead Centre owner Tristan Purvis said: “Our thoughts are with the family and we wish the young boy a speedy recovery.
“Obviously, individuals use barbecues at their own risk, but we encourage all campers to follow the advice of the fire service and take care when they make the most of the good weather.”
Comments are closed on this article.