Fury as council admits there is no cash for Helston College development

This is The West Country: Fury as council admits there is no cash for Helston College development Fury as council admits there is no cash for Helston College development

Staff have been left “deeply distressed” and governors “totally let down” at Helston Community College after an 11th hour discovery that their £10 million redevelopment has no funding.

Plans for the rebuilding of C-block, to include 22 classrooms, particularly for English and maths, as well as a library, hall and a gymnasium, have been left in tatters following the news from Cornwall Council.

Representatives admitted to staff and governors at a crisis meeting last Thursday that money pledged by the cabinet a year ago could not be found.

Despite this the authority has said it remains “committed” to addressing the issues and is “exploring all options”.

Twelve months ago cabinet members agreed in principle that the scheme would be built, subject to appropriate funding being approved.

This would come from the council’s capital programme and officers were told to find the money.

The promise came after the members acknowledged the school was falling into increasing disrepair, with a leaking roof, asbestos and windows screwed down to stop the glass from falling out.

Last week, however, Cornwall Councillor Andrew Wallis, portfolio holder for ‘children and young people’ as well as member for the Porthleven and Helston West division, together with Trevor Doughty, corporate director for ‘children, schools and families,’ broke the news that “despite the best efforts of both the council and college” there was no budget for the project.

Headteacher Dr Pat McGovern told the Packet after the meeting: “The staff and governors were deeply distressed; staff were absolutely beside themselves; governors felt totally let down.

“We were led to believe, and carried on in good faith, all on this assumption this was going to go ahead. We wouldn’t have built everyone’s expectations up.

“I kept asking the question, ‘Where is this being funded from? We were told we didn’t have to be worried about that, it was something the officers were dealing with.”

The cabinet is due to meet again on July 31, to see where funding might now be found.

They will consider applying to the government’s £50 billion fund set up to support public sector infrastructure projects.

However, this money will not become available until the 2015-2016 financial year.

Dr McGovern said: “It really is too late to wait on some vague hope for government funding past 2015.”

The college is now pushing for the cabinet members to visit the site before making a decision, rather than rely on officer advice.

A letter was sent to parents on Friday by the college, breaking the news that the scheme could be in jeopardy.

Graham Vallender, chairman of governors at Helston, told the Packet: “There is real anger in the community and there is no bigger priority that educating our community’s children, not only here but the ones coming up in year seven.”

“We feel we’re letting down the children by not being able to deliver this – but it’s not even our gift. We would if we could.”

More than £300,000 has been spent on architects’ plans and the planning process so far, out of an initial £800,000 pot released by Cornwall Council.

According to the college the council is now saying the remaining £500,000 should be spent on repair work – but Barry Drew, chairman of the governors’ resources committee, claimed it would take more than that just to replace the windows in the school.

This has led to Ted Gundry, chairman of personnel and resources at the college, describing it as “the elastoplast project” for its patching up approach.

And the fear is that there will be a further year’s delay at the minimum, as contractors will all be already booked up by now.

Mr Wallis stressed that he was still “really working” to find a solution to the issue.

He said: “I know that the governors, staff, students and parents will be extremely disappointed by this news and so am I. Helston Community College is one of our highest achieving schools and, like all students in Cornwall, its young people deserve to be taught in high quality buildings.

“We all agree that the issues at C-block need to be addressed as quickly as possible and I would like to assure both the school and the local community that this remains a top priority for the council.”

Alec Robertson was leader of the council at the time of last year’s unanimous cabinet vote in favour of supporting the scheme. He said: “This apparent shift in the council’s commitment is alarming but not totally unexpected. Of course, it is vitally important that all cabinet members are fully aware of the severity of Helston School’s situation and that any decision is not rushed through, under the radar, during the summer break.”

Why the work is needed The college has been fighting for better facilities for almost a decade, claiming the building is falling into increasing disrepair.

In 2007 students were forced to learn in temporary huts while emergency repair was carried out to 27 classrooms. During work to put up some new window walling asbestos had to be removed, which revealed that 75 per cent of the floor slabs were cracking.

Support beams being added that were give a lifespan of five years and would have taken the college up to 2012. However, governors claim they have now been told the beams can be in place for 25 years – despite no one revisiting the site to check the current situation.

The governors say students are now working in 30 degree heat during the summer, because the windows have been screwed shut to stop the glass falling out, but in the winter they leak and cold drafts blow in.

Buckets have been a regular sight in many of the corridors and classrooms, to catch the drips that fall through the leaking roof – including over the computer server.

There is no heating in the school hall because although the boilers are new, the 1950s pipe work cannot cope with the pressure.

Yet despite this the college continues to achieve top grades, with the maths department – which is based in the troubled C-block – currently ranked in the top one per cent of the country in an Ofsted inspection.

This has led to fears that their continuing success academically is making them miss out on funding.

Governor Ted Gundry said: “We’re doing good, so we’re forgotten. If we were doing badly the government and everyone else would be on us like a tonne of bricks.”

This is the second time the college faces being let down. Around five years ago it was initially at the top of the list for development through the Buildings Schools for the Future programme, before the criteria was changed to prioritise schools in deprived areas rather than condition of buildings.

After working its way to the top for phase two of the work, hopes were then dashed altogether when the programme was scrapped in 2010.

Timeline 1961: The first secondary school in the county is officially opened, with a 25-year life span.

2003: Conversations begin about the need for new building work.

2007: 27 classrooms are put out of action for seven months after unsafe beams and asbestos are uncovered.

2010: The college comes close to getting a new school through the government’s Buildings Schools for the Future scheme, before the programme is scrapped without warning.

2012: New hope is given when Cornwall Council’s cabinet agrees to fund up to £10 million of development work.

May 2013: Plans for the replacement of C-block, including a new hall and library, are supported by Helston Town Council.

July 2013: A planning decision by Cornwall Council is deferred while objections by Sports England are resolved.

July 2013: The college is told Cornwall Council has been unable to find the necessary funds.

Comments (54)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:41am Thu 18 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

If I was cynical I would think the original decision was borne out of a wish to be re elected.

If the funding was not guaranteed then it should never have been promised in the first place in my view, and if it is feasible to provide the balance of the money, then why are the current cabinet members along with the leader of the council now not making sure this will happen as opposed to issuing a statement that the money is now unavailable.
If I was cynical I would think the original decision was borne out of a wish to be re elected. If the funding was not guaranteed then it should never have been promised in the first place in my view, and if it is feasible to provide the balance of the money, then why are the current cabinet members along with the leader of the council now not making sure this will happen as opposed to issuing a statement that the money is now unavailable. Gillian Zella Martin 09

9:12am Thu 18 Jul 13

telstar1962 says...

Sadly,yet another example of lack of adequate funding over many years.
Sadly,yet another example of lack of adequate funding over many years. telstar1962

3:06pm Thu 18 Jul 13

Red Eric says...

I do hope those apologists for the awful Andy Wallace have now has the scales fall from their eyes.

This is a councillor who was summoned for non payment of council tax, and shouted loudly that everone elsesshould be put up 1.96%

This is a councillor who shouted loudly that the councillors wages should go up at least 20%.

This nis a councillor who shouted loudly against the joint venture with BT last year, which would have saved the council millions, and would have meant they could pay for Helston CC to be replaced.

Councillor wallace said despite the best efforts. What rubbish. As usual, he takes the easy way out. If you had any guts you would say to the officers, find this money, we promised it and we will deliver it. No, he is too busy trying to curry favour with the officers rather than standing up to them.

What an appalling example of a local councillor. Anyone with any sense of decency or shame would have resigned his post as a matter of principle when this promised rebuild was stopped by officer. Sorry, forgot he has neither decency or shame. Just the big "dont you realise what an important man I am"
I do hope those apologists for the awful Andy Wallace have now has the scales fall from their eyes. This is a councillor who was summoned for non payment of council tax, and shouted loudly that everone elsesshould be put up 1.96% This is a councillor who shouted loudly that the councillors wages should go up at least 20%. This nis a councillor who shouted loudly against the joint venture with BT last year, which would have saved the council millions, and would have meant they could pay for Helston CC to be replaced. Councillor wallace said despite the best efforts. What rubbish. As usual, he takes the easy way out. If you had any guts you would say to the officers, find this money, we promised it and we will deliver it. No, he is too busy trying to curry favour with the officers rather than standing up to them. What an appalling example of a local councillor. Anyone with any sense of decency or shame would have resigned his post as a matter of principle when this promised rebuild was stopped by officer. Sorry, forgot he has neither decency or shame. Just the big "dont you realise what an important man I am" Red Eric

6:32pm Thu 18 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Red Eric, if I am right in assuming that the first sentence in your post is aimed at me, because of past comments that I have made, then I would like to say that I am not an apologist. I only ever post my personal opinions, which I believe to be fair and true about any article/issue/situat
ion, or in response to others comments, at any given time.
I reiterate, I am not an apologist.
Red Eric, if I am right in assuming that the first sentence in your post is aimed at me, because of past comments that I have made, then I would like to say that I am not an apologist. I only ever post my personal opinions, which I believe to be fair and true about any article/issue/situat ion, or in response to others comments, at any given time. I reiterate, I am not an apologist. Gillian Zella Martin 09

6:44pm Thu 18 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Has MP Andrew George visited the school? Perhaps extra funding from the government should be fought for.
Has MP Andrew George visited the school? Perhaps extra funding from the government should be fought for. Gillian Zella Martin 09

8:42pm Thu 18 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Red Eric wrote:
I do hope those apologists for the awful Andy Wallace have now has the scales fall from their eyes.

This is a councillor who was summoned for non payment of council tax, and shouted loudly that everone elsesshould be put up 1.96%

This is a councillor who shouted loudly that the councillors wages should go up at least 20%.

This nis a councillor who shouted loudly against the joint venture with BT last year, which would have saved the council millions, and would have meant they could pay for Helston CC to be replaced.

Councillor wallace said despite the best efforts. What rubbish. As usual, he takes the easy way out. If you had any guts you would say to the officers, find this money, we promised it and we will deliver it. No, he is too busy trying to curry favour with the officers rather than standing up to them.

What an appalling example of a local councillor. Anyone with any sense of decency or shame would have resigned his post as a matter of principle when this promised rebuild was stopped by officer. Sorry, forgot he has neither decency or shame. Just the big "dont you realise what an important man I am"
I am not an apologist either and if you are going to criticise and make comments about him , at least give him the decency of spelling his name correctly i.eWallis not Wallace
[quote][p][bold]Red Eric[/bold] wrote: I do hope those apologists for the awful Andy Wallace have now has the scales fall from their eyes. This is a councillor who was summoned for non payment of council tax, and shouted loudly that everone elsesshould be put up 1.96% This is a councillor who shouted loudly that the councillors wages should go up at least 20%. This nis a councillor who shouted loudly against the joint venture with BT last year, which would have saved the council millions, and would have meant they could pay for Helston CC to be replaced. Councillor wallace said despite the best efforts. What rubbish. As usual, he takes the easy way out. If you had any guts you would say to the officers, find this money, we promised it and we will deliver it. No, he is too busy trying to curry favour with the officers rather than standing up to them. What an appalling example of a local councillor. Anyone with any sense of decency or shame would have resigned his post as a matter of principle when this promised rebuild was stopped by officer. Sorry, forgot he has neither decency or shame. Just the big "dont you realise what an important man I am"[/p][/quote]I am not an apologist either and if you are going to criticise and make comments about him , at least give him the decency of spelling his name correctly i.eWallis not Wallace meerkats

8:57pm Thu 18 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Something I would like to point out, Councillor Andrew Wallis is not solely responsible for decisions made by Cornwall Councils Cabinet, additionally there is the Council Leader Councillor John Pollard and the Chief Executive officer in the equation. I was under the impression the idea of employing a Chief Executive Officer was to deal with the financial side.
Something I would like to point out, Councillor Andrew Wallis is not solely responsible for decisions made by Cornwall Councils Cabinet, additionally there is the Council Leader Councillor John Pollard and the Chief Executive officer in the equation. I was under the impression the idea of employing a Chief Executive Officer was to deal with the financial side. Gillian Zella Martin 09

9:04pm Thu 18 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Something I would like to point out, Councillor Andrew Wallis is not solely responsible for decisions made by Cornwall Councils Cabinet, additionally there is the Council Leader Councillor John Pollard and the Chief Executive officer in the equation. I was under the impression the idea of employing a Chief Executive Officer was to deal with the financial side.
People are always quick on these pages to blame Cllr Wallis when things go wrong ,have you noticed that too Gill ?
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: Something I would like to point out, Councillor Andrew Wallis is not solely responsible for decisions made by Cornwall Councils Cabinet, additionally there is the Council Leader Councillor John Pollard and the Chief Executive officer in the equation. I was under the impression the idea of employing a Chief Executive Officer was to deal with the financial side.[/p][/quote]People are always quick on these pages to blame Cllr Wallis when things go wrong ,have you noticed that too Gill ? meerkats

9:47pm Thu 18 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I think In this particular case it may be because he happens to be the Portfolio holder for children and young people and as such is mentioned in the article.

Anyone can contact any Councillor to ask questions. In addition, I believe if anyone is given the opportunity to speak to a Councillor then I think it would be respectful to do so as opposed to complaining and not giving the Councillor the chance to explain.
I think In this particular case it may be because he happens to be the Portfolio holder for children and young people and as such is mentioned in the article. Anyone can contact any Councillor to ask questions. In addition, I believe if anyone is given the opportunity to speak to a Councillor then I think it would be respectful to do so as opposed to complaining and not giving the Councillor the chance to explain. Gillian Zella Martin 09

8:07am Fri 19 Jul 13

telstar1962 says...

Yet another fine example on these pages of criticism, when the basic problem has been a total lack of investment for Helston School over many,many years. No matter who has been in control of the purse strings, and whoever has been the Councillors

The school had a life-span to 1986.

What dire and utter neglect of children's education to let a building fall into such a state.

Yes, let's all blame our political opponents lol
Yet another fine example on these pages of criticism, when the basic problem has been a total lack of investment for Helston School over many,many years. No matter who has been in control of the purse strings, and whoever has been the Councillors The school had a life-span to 1986. What dire and utter neglect of children's education to let a building fall into such a state. Yes, let's all blame our political opponents lol telstar1962

8:27am Fri 19 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I'm not politically motivated at all, I purely believe that if one promises something then one should deliver.
I'm not politically motivated at all, I purely believe that if one promises something then one should deliver. Gillian Zella Martin 09

11:00am Fri 19 Jul 13

telstar1962 says...

Yes, I agree with you Gillian

The Council were blatantly aware that the school would need to be renewed in 1986.

They've had 27 years to rebuild a school fit for the purpose, and all you get is one person on here taking the opportunity to have a go at one individual.

That is sad, and should be seen as such.
Yes, I agree with you Gillian The Council were blatantly aware that the school would need to be renewed in 1986. They've had 27 years to rebuild a school fit for the purpose, and all you get is one person on here taking the opportunity to have a go at one individual. That is sad, and should be seen as such. telstar1962

12:34pm Fri 19 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

When I win millions on the lottery everything will be alright lol I will provide the stadium for Cornwall, give money to the Penrose arts centre, repair Coronation Lake, give money to the museum, Epworth Hall, the Church and the Chapel, invest in the toilets, give money for childrens play areas, give more to the food bank, re build Helston Community College and buy myself a new house in Helston, and of course give money to the Falmouth Packet.

In the mean time ill just carry on as usual.
When I win millions on the lottery everything will be alright lol I will provide the stadium for Cornwall, give money to the Penrose arts centre, repair Coronation Lake, give money to the museum, Epworth Hall, the Church and the Chapel, invest in the toilets, give money for childrens play areas, give more to the food bank, re build Helston Community College and buy myself a new house in Helston, and of course give money to the Falmouth Packet. In the mean time ill just carry on as usual. Gillian Zella Martin 09

2:01pm Fri 19 Jul 13

telstar1962 says...

The ironic thing is that money can be found for lists of non-urgent niceties, but not it seems for a fundamental necessity such as a school building.
The ironic thing is that money can be found for lists of non-urgent niceties, but not it seems for a fundamental necessity such as a school building. telstar1962

10:56pm Fri 19 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

meerkats wrote:
Red Eric wrote:
I do hope those apologists for the awful Andy Wallace have now has the scales fall from their eyes.

This is a councillor who was summoned for non payment of council tax, and shouted loudly that everone elsesshould be put up 1.96%

This is a councillor who shouted loudly that the councillors wages should go up at least 20%.

This nis a councillor who shouted loudly against the joint venture with BT last year, which would have saved the council millions, and would have meant they could pay for Helston CC to be replaced.

Councillor wallace said despite the best efforts. What rubbish. As usual, he takes the easy way out. If you had any guts you would say to the officers, find this money, we promised it and we will deliver it. No, he is too busy trying to curry favour with the officers rather than standing up to them.

What an appalling example of a local councillor. Anyone with any sense of decency or shame would have resigned his post as a matter of principle when this promised rebuild was stopped by officer. Sorry, forgot he has neither decency or shame. Just the big "dont you realise what an important man I am"
I am not an apologist either and if you are going to criticise and make comments about him , at least give him the decency of spelling his name correctly i.eWallis not Wallace
I believe the mis spelling is deliberate as opposed to a mistake.
I spent time in Belgium and France years ago, one thing I was taught over there, was that one should always address people as Sir or Madam or Mr or Mrs whatever their name is etc until one is invited to do otherwise, it was considered disrespectful to use first names or drop titles, until the person indicated it was alright to do so, either by signing their first name only or telling you face to face, this included even if you wanted to complain (pick fault with) about someone or to someone. That is something that has always stayed with me, even though I have been ridiculed over it in the past. That is why I find it hard to understand the deliberate mis spelling of people's names by some.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Eric[/bold] wrote: I do hope those apologists for the awful Andy Wallace have now has the scales fall from their eyes. This is a councillor who was summoned for non payment of council tax, and shouted loudly that everone elsesshould be put up 1.96% This is a councillor who shouted loudly that the councillors wages should go up at least 20%. This nis a councillor who shouted loudly against the joint venture with BT last year, which would have saved the council millions, and would have meant they could pay for Helston CC to be replaced. Councillor wallace said despite the best efforts. What rubbish. As usual, he takes the easy way out. If you had any guts you would say to the officers, find this money, we promised it and we will deliver it. No, he is too busy trying to curry favour with the officers rather than standing up to them. What an appalling example of a local councillor. Anyone with any sense of decency or shame would have resigned his post as a matter of principle when this promised rebuild was stopped by officer. Sorry, forgot he has neither decency or shame. Just the big "dont you realise what an important man I am"[/p][/quote]I am not an apologist either and if you are going to criticise and make comments about him , at least give him the decency of spelling his name correctly i.eWallis not Wallace[/p][/quote]I believe the mis spelling is deliberate as opposed to a mistake. I spent time in Belgium and France years ago, one thing I was taught over there, was that one should always address people as Sir or Madam or Mr or Mrs whatever their name is etc until one is invited to do otherwise, it was considered disrespectful to use first names or drop titles, until the person indicated it was alright to do so, either by signing their first name only or telling you face to face, this included even if you wanted to complain (pick fault with) about someone or to someone. That is something that has always stayed with me, even though I have been ridiculed over it in the past. That is why I find it hard to understand the deliberate mis spelling of people's names by some. Gillian Zella Martin 09

10:18pm Sat 20 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

Red Eric is correct, Wallis should do something about it hes the childrens worker, bet he will be shouting loudly about another pay rise shortly, Very poor representation for helston. C Cllrs and town council let helston down i think.
Red Eric is correct, Wallis should do something about it hes the childrens worker, bet he will be shouting loudly about another pay rise shortly, Very poor representation for helston. C Cllrs and town council let helston down i think. Helston Overlook

10:23pm Sat 20 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.
Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible. Helston Overlook

10:56pm Sat 20 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Neither Helston Town Council or Helston Cornwall Councillors let Helston down.

Wasn't the 'Overlook' the name of the hotel in the film 'The Shining' where one of the occupants went mad.
Neither Helston Town Council or Helston Cornwall Councillors let Helston down. Wasn't the 'Overlook' the name of the hotel in the film 'The Shining' where one of the occupants went mad. Gillian Zella Martin 09

12:47pm Sun 21 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.
Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.[/p][/quote]Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down. meerkats

3:50pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

meerkats wrote:
Helston Overlook wrote:
Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.
Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down.
Meerkats you and Gill have defended Wallis in the past and the TC, both of which are poor representation for Helston.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.[/p][/quote]Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down.[/p][/quote]Meerkats you and Gill have defended Wallis in the past and the TC, both of which are poor representation for Helston. Helston Overlook

4:05pm Sun 21 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
meerkats wrote:
Helston Overlook wrote:
Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.
Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down.
Meerkats you and Gill have defended Wallis in the past and the TC, both of which are poor representation for Helston.
I am not defending him , but i still think he is a good Cllr and is good at his job and is committed to both Helston and Porthleven. That is my opinion and is not defending him as you say. As for the TC , they are reopening the toilets which is a must and are continually working hard to improve the town with the HBIP ,so i dont see it as poor representation and should be given a chance.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.[/p][/quote]Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down.[/p][/quote]Meerkats you and Gill have defended Wallis in the past and the TC, both of which are poor representation for Helston.[/p][/quote]I am not defending him , but i still think he is a good Cllr and is good at his job and is committed to both Helston and Porthleven. That is my opinion and is not defending him as you say. As for the TC , they are reopening the toilets which is a must and are continually working hard to improve the town with the HBIP ,so i dont see it as poor representation and should be given a chance. meerkats

4:47pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
meerkats wrote:
Helston Overlook wrote:
Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.
Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down.
Meerkats you and Gill have defended Wallis in the past and the TC, both of which are poor representation for Helston.
There is evidence it show that the Town Council is a good representation for Helston, do you have any evidence to show otherwise?
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Gill and meerkats dont bother defending the indefensible.[/p][/quote]Dont bother leaving comments aimed at me . I am not defending him and i agree with Gill that neither the TC or the Councillors have let Helston down.[/p][/quote]Meerkats you and Gill have defended Wallis in the past and the TC, both of which are poor representation for Helston.[/p][/quote]There is evidence it show that the Town Council is a good representation for Helston, do you have any evidence to show otherwise? Gillian Zella Martin 09

4:49pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Previous post should have said 'there is evidence to show'
Previous post should have said 'there is evidence to show' Gillian Zella Martin 09

5:50pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

Meerkats you come back and say how wonderful Wallis is in a couple of months when he awards himself another pay rise. That pay rise hasnt gone away it was just put off till after the election.
Meerkats you come back and say how wonderful Wallis is in a couple of months when he awards himself another pay rise. That pay rise hasnt gone away it was just put off till after the election. Helston Overlook

6:10pm Sun 21 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
Meerkats you come back and say how wonderful Wallis is in a couple of months when he awards himself another pay rise. That pay rise hasnt gone away it was just put off till after the election.
You really must read my comments properly , i have never defended Cllr Wallis which you said i did. And i have never said i think he is wonderful which you said i have. Your comment to Gill asking if she is uneducated reminds me of the style in which a certain T Shulace used to post. coincidence or ? As for the TC i think they made the right decision in refusing the Pasty drive thru
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Meerkats you come back and say how wonderful Wallis is in a couple of months when he awards himself another pay rise. That pay rise hasnt gone away it was just put off till after the election.[/p][/quote]You really must read my comments properly , i have never defended Cllr Wallis which you said i did. And i have never said i think he is wonderful which you said i have. Your comment to Gill asking if she is uneducated reminds me of the style in which a certain T Shulace used to post. coincidence or ? As for the TC i think they made the right decision in refusing the Pasty drive thru meerkats

6:31pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
GZM are you uneducated, and as for the TC take a look at their reaction to the pasty shop. What a stupid decision.
As it happens yes I am uneducated. However, it was purely a mistake in my last comment which had no relevance to my lack of education.

The applicants that submitted a request for planning permission for a pasty drive-through, withdrew the application themselves before it reached Cornwall Councils planning committee for a final decision. Helston Town Council were in my view, right to recommend it for refusal, they were showing their support for the town and concluded on the most appropriate decision.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: GZM are you uneducated, and as for the TC take a look at their reaction to the pasty shop. What a stupid decision.[/p][/quote]As it happens yes I am uneducated. However, it was purely a mistake in my last comment which had no relevance to my lack of education. The applicants that submitted a request for planning permission for a pasty drive-through, withdrew the application themselves before it reached Cornwall Councils planning committee for a final decision. Helston Town Council were in my view, right to recommend it for refusal, they were showing their support for the town and concluded on the most appropriate decision. Gillian Zella Martin 09

7:11pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Could Helston Community College not take legal action against Cornwall Council to ensure the release of the balance of promised funds. Work has been started by way of architectural plans having been drawn up, this presumably was done on the strength of expecting the remainder of funds to be forthcoming. If Cornwall Councils 'word' is unreliable, it does not in my view bode well for the efficient running or portrayal of a unitary council.
Could Helston Community College not take legal action against Cornwall Council to ensure the release of the balance of promised funds. Work has been started by way of architectural plans having been drawn up, this presumably was done on the strength of expecting the remainder of funds to be forthcoming. If Cornwall Councils 'word' is unreliable, it does not in my view bode well for the efficient running or portrayal of a unitary council. Gillian Zella Martin 09

7:29pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Incidentally Helston Overlook, you display criticism of one of my previous posts on this thread and on my letter on the letters page, however, I think you have overlooked a small point on one of your own previous posts, twice you spelt Helston with no capital H.
Incidentally Helston Overlook, you display criticism of one of my previous posts on this thread and on my letter on the letters page, however, I think you have overlooked a small point on one of your own previous posts, twice you spelt Helston with no capital H. Gillian Zella Martin 09

7:33pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

Wrong meerkats, coincidence i think you will find, more than one person can hold the same opinions you know.
Wrong meerkats, coincidence i think you will find, more than one person can hold the same opinions you know. Helston Overlook

7:39pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

I am a Mayor meerkats.
I am a Mayor meerkats. Helston Overlook

8:20pm Sun 21 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
Gill if you had one ounce of sence you would realise that Wallis wanted Alec Robertson out so that he could get on the cabinet for more money and he got him out with that petition and then the vote of no confidence. You have defended the helston C Cllrs on here before and the TC yet Wallis is like Red Eric says. And you will soon change your mind about the TC.
sence spelt wrong and Helston with a small h once again , not the posting of a Mayor.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Gill if you had one ounce of sence you would realise that Wallis wanted Alec Robertson out so that he could get on the cabinet for more money and he got him out with that petition and then the vote of no confidence. You have defended the helston C Cllrs on here before and the TC yet Wallis is like Red Eric says. And you will soon change your mind about the TC.[/p][/quote]sence spelt wrong and Helston with a small h once again , not the posting of a Mayor. meerkats

9:31pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

GZM has been rude and sarcastic to me on this forum and she is biased on this forum so i am going to complain to the packet and get her banned.
GZM has been rude and sarcastic to me on this forum and she is biased on this forum so i am going to complain to the packet and get her banned. Helston Overlook

10:51pm Sun 21 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
GZM has been rude and sarcastic to me on this forum and she is biased on this forum so i am going to complain to the packet and get her banned.
I am never intentionally rude to anyone, however, it does of course remain your prerogative to complain to the Packet about my posts.
If I believed I had been rude to you then I would have apologized, however, I am categorically not apologizing when I believe I have done nothing wrong. I only ever apologize if I mean it genuinely with remorse. Therefore I am afraid you will be receiving no apology from me.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: GZM has been rude and sarcastic to me on this forum and she is biased on this forum so i am going to complain to the packet and get her banned.[/p][/quote]I am never intentionally rude to anyone, however, it does of course remain your prerogative to complain to the Packet about my posts. If I believed I had been rude to you then I would have apologized, however, I am categorically not apologizing when I believe I have done nothing wrong. I only ever apologize if I mean it genuinely with remorse. Therefore I am afraid you will be receiving no apology from me. Gillian Zella Martin 09

7:41am Mon 22 Jul 13

helztonboy says...

looks like Ty'moan is back!
looks like Ty'moan is back! helztonboy

7:49am Mon 22 Jul 13

meerkats says...

I did comment on an earlier post that i thought it was Tyrone but he/she denied it. said i was wrong and it was a coincidence. After reading their last comment re Gill i think i was very much right.
I did comment on an earlier post that i thought it was Tyrone but he/she denied it. said i was wrong and it was a coincidence. After reading their last comment re Gill i think i was very much right. meerkats

11:06am Mon 22 Jul 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Hey Helston Overlook, I resent that ! ;-)

One thing I can say about my posts is that they are always grammatically correct.

But I have nothing to add to this debate as I find ditch water sparkling by comparison with local politics.
Hey Helston Overlook, I resent that ! ;-) One thing I can say about my posts is that they are always grammatically correct. But I have nothing to add to this debate as I find ditch water sparkling by comparison with local politics. Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe

12:12pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Helston Overlook says...

Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick.
Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick. Helston Overlook

12:17pm Mon 22 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
Gill i am waiting for an apology, all your comments are rude and biased. How do you know i am not Delboy or LBFS.
Gill has already said she will not apologise . Bringing other commenter names into it is not on and you should apologise to both Delboy and LBFS, neither of them would comment the way you have. Recently you claimed to be the Mayor ,perhaps you should get your identity sorted.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Gill i am waiting for an apology, all your comments are rude and biased. How do you know i am not Delboy or LBFS.[/p][/quote]Gill has already said she will not apologise . Bringing other commenter names into it is not on and you should apologise to both Delboy and LBFS, neither of them would comment the way you have. Recently you claimed to be the Mayor ,perhaps you should get your identity sorted. meerkats

12:18pm Mon 22 Jul 13

meerkats says...

A Mayor not the Mayor before you correct me
A Mayor not the Mayor before you correct me meerkats

12:19pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick.
You are trying to put words into my mouth. I was only commenting on your suggestion that you might be me!

I don't think many if any regular readers of this site would agree with you that Gill is "thick".

She may have different views from you or for that matter from me, but she always tries to be respectful to others...
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick.[/p][/quote]You are trying to put words into my mouth. I was only commenting on your suggestion that you might be me! I don't think many if any regular readers of this site would agree with you that Gill is "thick". She may have different views from you or for that matter from me, but she always tries to be respectful to others... Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe

1:33pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Helston Overlook, I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve by your attempt to raise suspicion against other posters by relating them to your posts and your pseudonym. However, I believe if Lord Barry or the Original Delboy wanted to criticize me at any time, then they would do so under their own current long term pseudonyms.

You will be receiving no apology from me.

Helston Town Council are efficient, dedicated and hard working and are clearly benefitting from being under the excellent effectual leadership of Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby.

The HBIP are to be praised also, for their fantastic acheivements within Helston.

You may differ in views from me regarding the Town Council, however, no matter how many times you chose to insult me, it will not alter my opinion.
Helston Overlook, I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve by your attempt to raise suspicion against other posters by relating them to your posts and your pseudonym. However, I believe if Lord Barry or the Original Delboy wanted to criticize me at any time, then they would do so under their own current long term pseudonyms. You will be receiving no apology from me. Helston Town Council are efficient, dedicated and hard working and are clearly benefitting from being under the excellent effectual leadership of Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby. The HBIP are to be praised also, for their fantastic acheivements within Helston. You may differ in views from me regarding the Town Council, however, no matter how many times you chose to insult me, it will not alter my opinion. Gillian Zella Martin 09

1:41pm Mon 22 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Helston Overlook, I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve by your attempt to raise suspicion against other posters by relating them to your posts and your pseudonym. However, I believe if Lord Barry or the Original Delboy wanted to criticize me at any time, then they would do so under their own current long term pseudonyms.

You will be receiving no apology from me.

Helston Town Council are efficient, dedicated and hard working and are clearly benefitting from being under the excellent effectual leadership of Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby.

The HBIP are to be praised also, for their fantastic acheivements within Helston.

You may differ in views from me regarding the Town Council, however, no matter how many times you chose to insult me, it will not alter my opinion.
Well said Gill , sure its Tyrone ,too much of a coincidence to address you in that way otherwise. How childish of them to draw other names into it. I agree with your comments regarding the Mayor , Helston TC and the HBIP.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: Helston Overlook, I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve by your attempt to raise suspicion against other posters by relating them to your posts and your pseudonym. However, I believe if Lord Barry or the Original Delboy wanted to criticize me at any time, then they would do so under their own current long term pseudonyms. You will be receiving no apology from me. Helston Town Council are efficient, dedicated and hard working and are clearly benefitting from being under the excellent effectual leadership of Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby. The HBIP are to be praised also, for their fantastic acheivements within Helston. You may differ in views from me regarding the Town Council, however, no matter how many times you chose to insult me, it will not alter my opinion.[/p][/quote]Well said Gill , sure its Tyrone ,too much of a coincidence to address you in that way otherwise. How childish of them to draw other names into it. I agree with your comments regarding the Mayor , Helston TC and the HBIP. meerkats

1:45pm Mon 22 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Helston Overlook wrote:
Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick.
Your comments towards Gill are disgusting and yet you think she should apologise to you !!Think that you should be apologising to her ,Gill is definitely not thick her comments are always interesting to read and very fair, she remains dignified even when people are rude to her and doesnt retaliate by being rude or offensive in her replies. .
[quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick.[/p][/quote]Your comments towards Gill are disgusting and yet you think she should apologise to you !!Think that you should be apologising to her ,Gill is definitely not thick her comments are always interesting to read and very fair, she remains dignified even when people are rude to her and doesnt retaliate by being rude or offensive in her replies. . meerkats

1:53pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Thank you meerkats.
Thank you meerkats. Gillian Zella Martin 09

2:33pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

meerkats wrote:
Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Helston Overlook, I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve by your attempt to raise suspicion against other posters by relating them to your posts and your pseudonym. However, I believe if Lord Barry or the Original Delboy wanted to criticize me at any time, then they would do so under their own current long term pseudonyms.

You will be receiving no apology from me.

Helston Town Council are efficient, dedicated and hard working and are clearly benefitting from being under the excellent effectual leadership of Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby.

The HBIP are to be praised also, for their fantastic acheivements within Helston.

You may differ in views from me regarding the Town Council, however, no matter how many times you chose to insult me, it will not alter my opinion.
Well said Gill , sure its Tyrone ,too much of a coincidence to address you in that way otherwise. How childish of them to draw other names into it. I agree with your comments regarding the Mayor , Helston TC and the HBIP.
I am inclined to agree with you meerkats about Tyrone. I read all the comments and was not going to respond again but then decided I would, I notice that many of the comments have been removed. Too much of a coincidence like you say.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: Helston Overlook, I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve by your attempt to raise suspicion against other posters by relating them to your posts and your pseudonym. However, I believe if Lord Barry or the Original Delboy wanted to criticize me at any time, then they would do so under their own current long term pseudonyms. You will be receiving no apology from me. Helston Town Council are efficient, dedicated and hard working and are clearly benefitting from being under the excellent effectual leadership of Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby. The HBIP are to be praised also, for their fantastic acheivements within Helston. You may differ in views from me regarding the Town Council, however, no matter how many times you chose to insult me, it will not alter my opinion.[/p][/quote]Well said Gill , sure its Tyrone ,too much of a coincidence to address you in that way otherwise. How childish of them to draw other names into it. I agree with your comments regarding the Mayor , Helston TC and the HBIP.[/p][/quote]I am inclined to agree with you meerkats about Tyrone. I read all the comments and was not going to respond again but then decided I would, I notice that many of the comments have been removed. Too much of a coincidence like you say. Gillian Zella Martin 09

3:28pm Mon 22 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Well done to the Packet for removing a lot of the comments.
Well done to the Packet for removing a lot of the comments. meerkats

3:43pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Thank you to the Packet for removing the comments, at least they need not worry about slander, I wouldn't sue anyone and I would have a hard job actually proving that I wasn't thick and stupid anyway :)
Thank you to the Packet for removing the comments, at least they need not worry about slander, I wouldn't sue anyone and I would have a hard job actually proving that I wasn't thick and stupid anyway :) Gillian Zella Martin 09

3:51pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe wrote:
Helston Overlook wrote:
Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick.
You are trying to put words into my mouth. I was only commenting on your suggestion that you might be me!

I don't think many if any regular readers of this site would agree with you that Gill is "thick".

She may have different views from you or for that matter from me, but she always tries to be respectful to others...
Thank you Lord Barry.

Incidentally It was obvious it was not you who placed the comments from the onset, despite the insinuations, as obviously it had to be someone living in Helston, why else the continual tirade of derogatory comments about Helston Town Council. I actually think that is one of the lowest things to do, place a comment and try to imply that it is the responsibility of someone else.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston Overlook[/bold] wrote: Yes you're right LBFS, Gills posts are always grammatically incorrect because she is uneducated and thick.[/p][/quote]You are trying to put words into my mouth. I was only commenting on your suggestion that you might be me! I don't think many if any regular readers of this site would agree with you that Gill is "thick". She may have different views from you or for that matter from me, but she always tries to be respectful to others...[/p][/quote]Thank you Lord Barry. Incidentally It was obvious it was not you who placed the comments from the onset, despite the insinuations, as obviously it had to be someone living in Helston, why else the continual tirade of derogatory comments about Helston Town Council. I actually think that is one of the lowest things to do, place a comment and try to imply that it is the responsibility of someone else. Gillian Zella Martin 09

3:51pm Mon 22 Jul 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Sensible move Packet. Should have done this a while back when "Guest 1" was rampant...

I admire your patience Gill and you are clearly very knowledgeable about local politics, so you can't be anywhere near as 'thick' as you self-deprecatingly claim. :-)
Sensible move Packet. Should have done this a while back when "Guest 1" was rampant... I admire your patience Gill and you are clearly very knowledgeable about local politics, so you can't be anywhere near as 'thick' as you self-deprecatingly claim. :-) Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe

10:03pm Mon 22 Jul 13

telstar1962 says...

The news article is about there now being no cash for Helston College development ?

It is most tiresome to read some of the garbage posted on here by incoherent troublemakers.

No Council or Councillor is perfect, and we have certainly witnessed this in Helston in recent years. I still do not agree that one can say the Council are dealing with every issue in the best manner possible, and under those circumstances no-one can say that just because they are dedicated or hard-working, that they are dealing with issues in the best way.

Time alone will be the judge of this, and by then the critics will also have more new Councillors to lambast.

Keep commenting on all issues Gillian, and just ignore the blatantly ignorant who are only trying to wind you up lol
The news article is about there now being no cash for Helston College development ? It is most tiresome to read some of the garbage posted on here by incoherent troublemakers. No Council or Councillor is perfect, and we have certainly witnessed this in Helston in recent years. I still do not agree that one can say the Council are dealing with every issue in the best manner possible, and under those circumstances no-one can say that just because they are dedicated or hard-working, that they are dealing with issues in the best way. Time alone will be the judge of this, and by then the critics will also have more new Councillors to lambast. Keep commenting on all issues Gillian, and just ignore the blatantly ignorant who are only trying to wind you up lol telstar1962

10:13am Tue 23 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

telstar1962 wrote:
The news article is about there now being no cash for Helston College development ?

It is most tiresome to read some of the garbage posted on here by incoherent troublemakers.

No Council or Councillor is perfect, and we have certainly witnessed this in Helston in recent years. I still do not agree that one can say the Council are dealing with every issue in the best manner possible, and under those circumstances no-one can say that just because they are dedicated or hard-working, that they are dealing with issues in the best way.

Time alone will be the judge of this, and by then the critics will also have more new Councillors to lambast.

Keep commenting on all issues Gillian, and just ignore the blatantly ignorant who are only trying to wind you up lol
It does make me somewhat apprehensive of commenting on controversial issues though, if I am going to attract adverse reactions to the degree that I have on this thread by 'Helston Overlook'
I know the Packet have removed the comments but I feel I'm obviously doing something wrong to attract the comments in the first place.
Perhaps I should stick to the 'happy' stories lol
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: The news article is about there now being no cash for Helston College development ? It is most tiresome to read some of the garbage posted on here by incoherent troublemakers. No Council or Councillor is perfect, and we have certainly witnessed this in Helston in recent years. I still do not agree that one can say the Council are dealing with every issue in the best manner possible, and under those circumstances no-one can say that just because they are dedicated or hard-working, that they are dealing with issues in the best way. Time alone will be the judge of this, and by then the critics will also have more new Councillors to lambast. Keep commenting on all issues Gillian, and just ignore the blatantly ignorant who are only trying to wind you up lol[/p][/quote]It does make me somewhat apprehensive of commenting on controversial issues though, if I am going to attract adverse reactions to the degree that I have on this thread by 'Helston Overlook' I know the Packet have removed the comments but I feel I'm obviously doing something wrong to attract the comments in the first place. Perhaps I should stick to the 'happy' stories lol Gillian Zella Martin 09

10:44am Tue 23 Jul 13

meerkats says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
The news article is about there now being no cash for Helston College development ?

It is most tiresome to read some of the garbage posted on here by incoherent troublemakers.

No Council or Councillor is perfect, and we have certainly witnessed this in Helston in recent years. I still do not agree that one can say the Council are dealing with every issue in the best manner possible, and under those circumstances no-one can say that just because they are dedicated or hard-working, that they are dealing with issues in the best way.

Time alone will be the judge of this, and by then the critics will also have more new Councillors to lambast.

Keep commenting on all issues Gillian, and just ignore the blatantly ignorant who are only trying to wind you up lol
It does make me somewhat apprehensive of commenting on controversial issues though, if I am going to attract adverse reactions to the degree that I have on this thread by 'Helston Overlook'
I know the Packet have removed the comments but I feel I'm obviously doing something wrong to attract the comments in the first place.
Perhaps I should stick to the 'happy' stories lol
I do wonder myself when others dont agree with your posts ,why they get so rude and offensive towards you.As soon as i saw the first one left by Helston Overlook i thought it was T Shulace back again. The same thing happened a while ago with Wave AND Guest01, it is a shame that the Packet cant stop commenters who have been banned coming back with another name. If nobody brings the offensive comments to the Packet staffs attention they cant remove them attention so the "offender" gets away with it. Please keep commenting on whatever you like .!!
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: The news article is about there now being no cash for Helston College development ? It is most tiresome to read some of the garbage posted on here by incoherent troublemakers. No Council or Councillor is perfect, and we have certainly witnessed this in Helston in recent years. I still do not agree that one can say the Council are dealing with every issue in the best manner possible, and under those circumstances no-one can say that just because they are dedicated or hard-working, that they are dealing with issues in the best way. Time alone will be the judge of this, and by then the critics will also have more new Councillors to lambast. Keep commenting on all issues Gillian, and just ignore the blatantly ignorant who are only trying to wind you up lol[/p][/quote]It does make me somewhat apprehensive of commenting on controversial issues though, if I am going to attract adverse reactions to the degree that I have on this thread by 'Helston Overlook' I know the Packet have removed the comments but I feel I'm obviously doing something wrong to attract the comments in the first place. Perhaps I should stick to the 'happy' stories lol[/p][/quote]I do wonder myself when others dont agree with your posts ,why they get so rude and offensive towards you.As soon as i saw the first one left by Helston Overlook i thought it was T Shulace back again. The same thing happened a while ago with Wave AND Guest01, it is a shame that the Packet cant stop commenters who have been banned coming back with another name. If nobody brings the offensive comments to the Packet staffs attention they cant remove them attention so the "offender" gets away with it. Please keep commenting on whatever you like .!! meerkats

12:01pm Tue 23 Jul 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I don't really like to report other people's comments as I feel they probably don't like mine anymore than I like some of theirs. The only odd couple of comments I have reported in the past were comments directed at other people not to me.

I wonder if there will be any update on the Helston Community College, regarding the forthcoming of the money. They built a new school on the Isles of Scilly I believe.
I don't really like to report other people's comments as I feel they probably don't like mine anymore than I like some of theirs. The only odd couple of comments I have reported in the past were comments directed at other people not to me. I wonder if there will be any update on the Helston Community College, regarding the forthcoming of the money. They built a new school on the Isles of Scilly I believe. Gillian Zella Martin 09

5:30pm Tue 23 Jul 13

telstar1962 says...

I'm surprised that Tesco haven't become involved in funding for schools and colleges.

They seem to want to dabble in everything else from Banking, Car Sales,Estate Agency.

They could get properly involved in local communities,instead of cynically pretending to be 'the pillar of every community'

With their vast profits, I don't see why they do not volunteer to truly give something back to the Towns and Villages that they have invaded and destroyed down the years, and have true partnerships with local authorities and School Academies to help fund worthwhile ventures like school building etc, which would be a proper long lasting legacy, instead of paying lip-service to community involvement.

Trouble with that is, there's not enough profit for their share-holders.
I'm surprised that Tesco haven't become involved in funding for schools and colleges. They seem to want to dabble in everything else from Banking, Car Sales,Estate Agency. They could get properly involved in local communities,instead of cynically pretending to be 'the pillar of every community' With their vast profits, I don't see why they do not volunteer to truly give something back to the Towns and Villages that they have invaded and destroyed down the years, and have true partnerships with local authorities and School Academies to help fund worthwhile ventures like school building etc, which would be a proper long lasting legacy, instead of paying lip-service to community involvement. Trouble with that is, there's not enough profit for their share-holders. telstar1962

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree