Firefighters were called out to Wheal Jane, Baldhu, Near Truro at 9.38am this morning after a report of a fire in a two storey building.
Four pumps and supporting specialist appliances were called out.
A fire service spokesman said: "At 0938 hours the FRS received a call to a reported fire in the Wheal Jane Mine laboratorys. On arrival of crews from Truro, Redruth and Falmouth a fire was discovered in a fume cupboard involving a number of chemicals.
"Specialist hazardous materials teams were sent and specilaist advice sought. The fire was extinguished using six breathing apparatus and three hosereels. The chemicals were safely disposed of and the property ventilated."