A CREW of volunteers have been enjoying swashbuckling adventures on the Ilminster Canal in an attempt to clear the historic landmark.

A new blog has launched on Ilminster Town Council’s website – a captain’s log – detailing the work of ‘Cap’n’ Cllr John Pallister and his helpers.

The captain has been supported by bosun Cllr David Miller and midshipman Cllr Roger Swann, who together with able seamen Mike Dunn, Luke Dopson, Paul Sainsbury, Cllr Andrew Lawson, Tony and Dave – are hoping to restore the canal to its former glory, aided by technical advice from civil engineer Richard Sothern.

The Ilminster Canal used to be a link between Chard and the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal and was open from 1842-66, when it was purchased by the Bristol and Exeter Railway, closed and refilled.

In more recent times, the area has become overgrown – and volunteers have been tackling rogue brambles.

‘Cap’n’ John said: “It needed bringing back to its former glory. The wardens have been very helpful – and kept us supplied with tea and biscuits!

“In two years’ time it will be a nice nesting area and it will now be kept under control.”

Midshipman Cllr Roger Swann added: “We thought as we were travelling down the canal the blog would be a good way of generating interest in our work. We have had lots and lots of positive comments and we appreciate it.”

Town clerk Julia Thorne has now written a letter to the badger community to politely request that they move to an area on Brittens Field so that work can continue.

TO read Cap’n Pally’s blog follow the link below.