THE first floor of a house has been 'severely damaged' after a torch caught a bed alight.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue crews were called to Butts Way, Milverton, at 5.37pm yesterday evening (March 10).

The cause of the fire was said to be accidental, starting after a torch ignited the bed.

A spokesman said: "One fire engine from Wiveliscombe and two from Wellington attended a fire in a bedroom of a domestic property.

"Crews arrived on scene, donned breathing apparatus and entered the property to put the fire out using one hose reel jet.

"The fire involved a bed in a first floor bedroom.

"Crews used a total of four breathing apparatus sets, one hose reel jet, positive pressure ventilation and a thermal imaging camera.

"The cause of the fire was deemed as accidental due to a torch which ignited the bed.

"The first floor of the property was severely damaged by the fire.

"Duty of care was left with the occupants."