A TAUNTON man who downloaded hundreds of explicit images of children being abused has died after taking cocaine and heroin.

An inquest into the death of Stephen Willetts, of Eastbourne Road, Taunton, heard the 33-year-old died after a day of drinking alcohol with his housemate.

Willetts was spared jail in November last year after he admitted three charges of possession of indecent images of children at Taunton Crown Court, including more than 100 judged to be in the most severe category.

The inquest, held at the Old Municipal Buildings in Taunton, heard from Willetts’ housemate, Wayne Glist.

Mr Glist said the pair first met when they moved into supported housing together in January.

He said: “On Saturday, April 28, Steven and I were at the house when Stephen produced some Valium and took them with wine and strong lager.

“He carried on drinking and later that night I passed out. When I got up I noticed Stephen was lying by the window.

“I was not worried as it was not unusual for Stephen to pass out after drinking.

“(At) around 2am (April 30), I wanted to go to bed so I went to tell Stephen, but he was cold and stiff.”

The inquest heard Mr Glist then called the paramedics who, in turn, called the police.

Mr Willetts, who was previously manager at Tesco in Minehead, was later pronounced dead at the scene.

A GP, Dr David Davies, told the coroner Mr Willetts had been taking prescription medication for anxiety, acid indigestion and alcohol dependency.

In November 2017, he was consuming around two bottles of wine and two cans of lager a night - around 22 units every day.

Mr Willetts’ post mortem found he had 129 micrograms of morphine per litre of blood.

The pathologist said a sample of urine contained “unequivocal” proof that he had recently used heroin.

His blood sample also tested positive for cocaine, the inquest was told.

Tony Williams, senior coroner for Somerset, recorded a conclusion of a ‘drug-related death’.

Mr Williams added: “Stephen Willetts self-administered morphine and cocaine which combined to a fatal toxicity.”