A BEDROOM has been destroyed after a fire broke out in a Chard flat. 

Engines from Chard and Ilminster were called to Hillside yesterday (April 14) at around 9pm. 

A spokesman said: "On arrival, crews confirmed a fire in the bedroom on the second floor of the three storey property. 

"Fire crews got to work to extinguish the fire using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, a positive pressure ventilation fan and a thermal imaging camera.

"The property suffered 100 percent fire damage to the bedroom on the 2nd floor and 100 percent smoke damage to the 3rd floor. The fire has now been extinguished."