POLICE and firefighters were called to a home near Chard after a fire tore through a caravan and damaged an adjacent property.

Two fire engines, from Chard and Axminster, were sent to the scene in Tatworth shortly after 1pm yesterday (February 12).

The Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue service received a call reporting a caravan on fire in the rear garden of home.

Upon arrival, fire crews confirmed the caravan was 'well alight' and tackled the fire using two breathing apparatus wearers and two hose reel jets.

A fire service spokesman said: "Crews requested the attendance of police and a fire investigation officer.

"Fire crews damped down the caravan, turned over hot spots and checked an adjacent building for fire spread using a thermal image camera.

"The caravan was severely damaged by fire throughout and there was slight fire damaged to an adjacent semi-detached house.

"The fire was extinguished by fire crews using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, a thermal image camera, a carbon monoxide detector and drag forks.

"The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental."