HOMES at Weavers Reach in Wellington were evacuated last night (August 6) after a gas leak.

The leak was caused by a disposed barbecue that had not been extinguished properly and melted through a gas main.

Two fire engines from Wellington attended the incident after receiving the call at 8.35pm.

Along with the help of police, surrounding properties were evacuated and the gas board were asked to attend.

Crews attempted to stem the gas leak but to no avail.

A further gas board representative was called in to attend to assist with repairs to the gas main.