POLICE are clamping down on drunks and yobs who are plaguing a Bridgwater park.

The Mercury has received complaints about anti-social behaviour in Blake Gardens and now police and Sedgemoor District Council are working together to restore the area to being a ‘valuable green space’.

Police have increased patrols, including using mounted officers and are reviewing CCTV coverage and footage.

Reader David Darby wrote to the Mercury after becoming frustrated with ‘daily, all-day drinking binges’ taking place in the gardens.

He said: “Some of the men involved – up to eight of them – frequently urinate in front of small children and any passing member of the public.

“I know for a fact the police (PCSOs) have been called to disperse these drunks but never do anything constructive to get rid of them – or remove the alcohol being consumed.

“These people are ruining the amenity of these gardens for council taxpayers in Sedgemoor and intimidating those people wishing to use Bridgwater Library.

“Who wants their children or grandchildren to witness such vile behaviour?”

Insp Andy Pritchard from Bridgwater police said Blake Gardens was a priority for the local team.

He said: “Officers will be regularly patrolling the area and will deal positively with anyone whose actions are anti-social.

“It is important that the local community is able to use the park without feeling intimidated and I would urge people to contact us if they experience any problems.”

The council wants people to give feedback about Blake Gardens by completing a survey via www.sedgemoor.gov.uk/blakegardensfeedback. Paper surveys are also available at Bridgwater Library, Sedgemoor District Council and Bridgwater Town Council offices.

Surveys were also delivered on June 12 to businesses and residents.

Community Safety team leader Kristy Blackwell said: “We are aware some concerns have been expressed through informal channels, such as on social media or to nearby businesses, but we need reports to be made formally.”

To report anti-social behaviour call PC Kathryn Forrest (4479) on 101 or call SDC on 0800 298 2009.