Taunton Deane Council has been working with partners to deliver the homes and has also embarked on its own house-building programme.
Work on 60 council homes is underway in Creechbarrow Road, Taunton, where Knightstone Housing is building a further 32 properties, representing an investment of £12million.
A further 19 council homes are being built – eight at Normandy Way, Taunton, four at Bacon Drive, Taunton, and seven in West Bagborough.
Other developments include:
- Six homes completed in Priorswood Place, Taunton, in partnership with Curo;
- Summerfield has started on 26 homes by Taunton Academy, which will be sold to people with a strong local connection at less than market value;
- 21 apartments have been built at Victoria Gate, Taunton – phase two will see 25 properties for rent and 18 for sale through shared ownership;
- 46 affordable flats and houses have been completed at Ruskin Close, Taunton in partnership with Knightstone;
- The first handovers of affordable housing at Monkton Heathfield – rent and shared ownership – have taken place (Raglan has 16 and Yarlington Housing Group 37) with more to follow;
- Final completions have taken place at Bagley Green, Wellington, with all shared ownerships sold quickly.
Cllr Jean Adkins, who holds Taunton Deane Council’s housing services portfolio, said: “Even in these difficult economic times Taunton Deane is committed to providing a broad choice of decent homes at a price people can afford in a place where they want to live and work.
"Through the council's own building programme, and working closely with our housing association partners, we will continue to do all we can to build much needed affordable homes."
Taunton Deane is hosting an Affordable Housing open day from 3pm to 7pm on Wednesday (June 4) in the Long Room at The County Ground, Taunton.