FAMILY and friends of Tony Bull have paid tribute to the Wellington AFC stalwart.

Tony, who was involved with the football club for 58 years, died suddenly in hospital at the age of 76.

This week, wife Janet described him as a “good husband and good father”.

She said: “He was a family man and would do anything for anybody.

“Tony enjoyed Christmas, his holidays and would always make time for his family.

“We met at the age of 15 when we were at school in Wellington and we had a good marriage.”

The grandfather, who lived in Rookery Terrace, also leaves behind children Andrew and Tracey.

He held several positions at the club, starting as player before becoming captain, manager and then taking on the role of treasurer, a position he held for many years.

As an acknowledgement of his services to football, Tony was presented with a framed certificate and medal by the Football Association.

Wellington AFC chairman Mike Hall said: “Tony dedicated a lifetime of service to the club and will be sadly missed.

“His devotion to Wellington was outstanding and to many people he represented the true spirit of the club.

“He was instrumental in saving the club from extinction and was a prime mover in building the current clubhouse and changing rooms and establishing the successful Soccerites’ skittles team.

“Our thoughts are with his widow Janet, son Andrew, daughter Tracey and their family at this sad time.”

A minute’s applause was due to be held before Wellington’s match versus Chippenham Park last Saturday, but the game was postponed due to the bad weather.

Former club chairman Ken Bird added: “Tony was a magnificent servant to Wellington AFC for more than half-a-century and was a pivotal figure in its development – both on and off the pitch – during that time.

“He was a great friend to us all but, first and foremost, he was a wonderful family man and will be greatly missed.”

Tony's funeral will be held at Taunton Deane Crematorium on Wednesday (January 15) at 1pm. He died on December 23.