Tributes to Royal Marine Aaron Winter from Taunton who died following a gym workout

This is The West Country: Colour Sergeatn Aaron Winter. Colour Sergeatn Aaron Winter.

A SUPERFIT Royal Marine who died suddenly during a workout has been remembered as a caring family man.

Colour Sergeant Aaron ‘Tiny’ Winter, 39, collapsed in the gym at Norton Manor Camp, the Norton Fitzwarren base of 40 Commando, and was declared dead at Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton.

An investigation is underway into his death on Friday, December 6, while his funeral took place with full military honours at St Mary Magdalene Church, Taunton, last Thursday.

Sgt Winter, who lived in Taunton, leaves a wife, Laura, and young daughter, Ava, his parents, Mollie and Clive, stepfather Derek and half sister Jayne.

He was based at the Marines training centre at Lympstone, in Devon, and was off duty at the time of his death.

Sgt Winter, who was born in Bury St Edmunds, joined the Marines in 1996 and was assigned to a number of units, including 40 Commando, deploying on operations to Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan, picking up the long service and good conduct medal and the Queen’s Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals.

A Marines spokeswoman said he inspired colleagues, was “highly professional, tough but compassionate”, “passionate, morally upstanding and straight-talking” and always had time for people.

Col Dave Kassapian, Commandant at Lympstone, said: “Tiny was my enforcer of standards and discipline.

“He was ruthless, relentless and remorseless, an indomitable character who compelled compliance through presence alone.

“He was also a thoughtful and highly professional man who cared passionately about the corps, his home and family.”

Staff Sergeant Dave Lewis said: “He was someone you could really trust and rely on, someone you could talk with honestly and openly, knowing you’d be neither judged nor criticised.

“Although he enjoyed a quiet life which revolved around his family and his work, it didn’t prevent him from living life to the full.”

Following his funeral, a private cremation was held at Taunton Deane Crematorium, followed by a wake in the Sergeants’ Mess at Norton Manor Camp.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree