Dog owners warned after deadly substance found on Minehead Beach

THE substance which was found washed up on Minehead beach yesterday. PHOTO: Julie Costello

THE substance which was found washed up on Minehead beach yesterday. PHOTO: Julie Costello

First published in News
Last updated

DOG owners in West Somerset are being told to be vigilant after poisonous waste washed up on Minehead and Blue Anchor beaches.

There have already been reports of dogs eating the substance in Minehead and becoming very ill.

Earlier this week, a dog in Wales died after ingesting the substance, believed to be rancid vegetable fat.

It is particularly dangerous to the Mini-Schnauzer breed according to local vets.

The fat looks like white lumps, resembling polystyrene and smells like fuel or paraffin. 

A spokesperson for the Environment Agency said: "We received a report that a dog walker on Minehead beach early yesterday morning had noticed a paraffin smell and seen traces of a white gooey substance along the tide line.

"We are aware of incidents of a similar nature occurring along the Dorset coastline recently and a similar occurrence in Devon and Cornwall.

"It is not known how much or how widespread along the beach this substance is.

"We informed West Somerset Environmental Health and one of their officer's went to the site.

"The EHO has reported back and there is no sign of the substance along the tide line of the beach and no smell.

"No further action is envisaged unless there is a re-occurrence."

The white substance was first spotted earlier this month on western Vale beaches, including Ogmore and Southerndown, with several dogs falling ill after eating it.

Similar cases were reported on the Cornish coast in late October.

A spokesperson from West Somerset Council said: "We have put up warning signs at the main pedestrian entrances to the beach at Minehead.

"If a member of the public does come across a white chemical like substance on the beach with a paraffin like smell it is suggested they report this to either West Somerset Council on  01643-703704 or the Environment Agency on 08008-07060."

Comments (0)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree