Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting COUNTY GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Carbon monoxide warning after death in South-West
12:30am Saturday 31st August 2013 in News
HOLIDAYMAKERS flocking to Somerset for the summer festival season are being warned to be aware of carbon monoxide after the death of a young woman at a campsite earlier this month.
The body of Bethan O’Brien, 20, was found in Braunton, Devon, on Sunday, August 18. It was reported that a gas heater had been used inside the tent she was sharing with two friends.
Gas distribution business Wales & West Utilities is warning of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and is asking parents to speak to their festivalgoing teenagers before they set off on camping weekends.
Carbon monoxide can be produced by a badly adjusted camping stove or light, or barbecues in enclosed spaces.
The so-called silent killer causes 50 fatalities a year in the UK, leaving a further 200 people seriously ill.
Comments are closed on this article.